Needing help with Hondaline CB

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
refuelman
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Needing help with Hondaline CB

Postby refuelman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm

I am new to the Goldwing line. I have got an 1984 Aspencade, the CB comes on and the radio works fine even the auto volume. I do not have any head sets to use, I was told that I could still hear the CB through the radio speakers. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Joe in Oklahoma

k1w1t1m
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate. 105,000miles and still going strong.(sold)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (possibly for sale soon)
1997 Gl1500 SE in pearl sapphire black.

Re: Needing help with Hondaline CB

Postby k1w1t1m » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

If it's like the 1100s then yes you should be able to hear the CB through the speakers. Have you tried adjusting the squelch control, you should hear static towards one end of it's adjustment.
I know there are user manuals for the 1100 audio, have you checked for 1200 manuals?

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm

On the radio there is a knob for selecting headset or speakers.

try that

refuelman

Postby refuelman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, yes I have tried the squelch both was with no sound coming out of speakers other than the radio it self. I have looked and found a wiring and installation manual, but have not found a operators manual.
Yes, I know about the head set knob. What do I need to do with it, the CB has one as does the radio.
Thanks Joe

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 pm

If the CB is working, when you have the radio on, coming through the speakers and you receive a transmission (RX should show on the CB) the Radio should cut out and the cb sound should come through the speakers.

Even if there is no actual transmission if you turn the squelch knob on the CB it should activate the multichanger box and cut out the radio.

If this isnt happening then either the CB or the multichanger box could be defective.

remove the left pocket, locate the multichanger, it is directly in front of the amplifier, reach in and put your fingers on it and turn the squelch knob back and forth, you should be able to sense a light click as the relays click.

make sure all the connections are good in the pocket, if the ID tapes have fallen off the cables make sure you ID each side as you disconnect them.

refuelman

Postby refuelman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the info, Tricky. I have checked the multichanger for a click. I does click when you push the talk botton on the handlebar switch, but does not click when I turn the squelch knob. Sorry it took so long to get back with you, I have been out of town. Any other ideas?

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm

The headset knob on the radio. Press to hear radio and CB over headset. HS will be displayed. Push again for speakers.

You are hearing the radio over the speakers the CB should also be heard. When you turn the squelch does the radio cut out?

If not, it sounds like the CB should be sent for servicing.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

refuelman

Postby refuelman » Mon May 03, 2010 4:19 pm

I just noticed something over the weekend. If I put a tape in the player the tape runs but the radio still plays, no matter what I do to or with the switchs. I am betting all of my problems are in the radio. What do you guys think?

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon May 03, 2010 6:33 pm

obviously a problem with the tape section, but if your hearing the radio and the cb receives a signal the controlling part is the multichanger. It works like a two way switch to make a simple analogy. One way the cb goes to the amplifier the other that radio goes to the amplifier. The headset is not controlled by the multichanger.

You can feel the multichanger clicking that is the relays switching.

Are you certain that everything is wired up correctly, it is a rats nest under the left pocket, you don't know what the PO has done.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 04, 2010 11:47 am

I don't have a tape player - does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Is it supposed to automatically mute the radio if you put a tape in? Does the radio volume control then control the tape volume output?

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Yes.
When the tape is pushed in it switches to the tape, the sound output will still be switched off when the CB is keyed to transmit or if it receives.

superdavesr
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby superdavesr » Tue May 04, 2010 6:29 pm

by tricky » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Yes.
When the tape is pushed in it switches to the tape, the sound output will still be switched off when the CB is keyed to transmit or if it receives.

Mine doesn't work that way. I have to hit the button that picks between the tape and the radio. I have a tape in it most of the time, but usually listen to the radio.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 pm

superdavesr wrote:
by tricky » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Yes.

Mine doesn't work that way. I have to hit the button that picks between the tape and the radio. I have a tape in it most of the time, but usually listen to the radio.

Your right, I havnt used the tape more than ten times in 25 years, I thought it just automatically switched to tape when the tape was inserted fully.

Mercness
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby Mercness » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey guys, sorry to open an old thread. I used the search feature and saw this thread and after searching through a good bit of the others...this looked like the best route without opening a new thread.

I'm having trouble with the CB on my 86 gl1200 Interstate. Everything seems to work on it (it's also in excellent condition). When I press the PTT button, the TX signal shows up on the screen... no transmission is sent though not even the usual clicking sound. On the other hand, I can not hear any transmissions either (through headset or speakers). However, when I play with the squelch knob, it does cut the radio out as if it's receiving a transmission. I'm wondering if maybe the CB is not hooked up to the antenna? Thanks for any and all help guys

-Austin

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 pm

If the bike is new to you ask the PO if it was working for him

If it just started to act like this, I would check the connections under the left pocket.
If there are two antenna's check that one is connected to the CB or that the one feeding the radio has a splitter to send signal to the CB
Still not working give http://www.sierra-mc.com/ a call

Mercness
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby Mercness » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Tricky- Where would the splitter be located if indeed it has one? I looked in the pocket on the left and I didn't see any wires hanging around lonely.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”