GL1200 Interstate fuel problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

GL1200 Interstate fuel problem

Postby highplainsbubba » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I was ready to go for the first ride of the season. The bike had been run weekly during the cold winter months. The battery was charged and I took a can of gas from the back of the garage and filled the almost empty tank. Tomorrow I ride. I started the bike and it would not run to save its life. It was choking and stalling and wouldn't maintain idle for more than a few seconds. It was obviously a fuel problem since it ran well when I put starter fluid down the carbs. I spent half a day checking out the fuel pump circuit and changing the filter.

Moral of the story?

Be sure you grab the gas can from the back of the garage, not the diesel for the tractor.

I drained the tank. The GL1200 tank has a fuel outlet pretty high on the tank with an internal tube running down to the bottom of the tank. Once the tank is filled and fuel starts to flow, it will draw fuel up this line and into the feed line. As the level of fuel in the tank starts to drop below the fuel outlet, it will continue to siphon up the tube from the bottom of the tank. When you drain the tank, this may not happen, leaving what appears to be an empty tank, when there may be a gallon or so (about two coffee cans) inside. I realized this the second time I drained the tank, so I covered the filler neck with my hand, stuck an air hose between my fingers, and pressurized the tank. This blew all the remaining diesel out the fuel tank. I drained the carb bowls, bought fresh gas in a new gas can and filled the tank. I pressurized the tank again since I did not fill it completely. This blew the gas into the feed line. I put a little starter fluid in the carb and if fired up fairly quickly. After smoking for a while it ran normally. When riding, the vapor pressure of the fuel will pressurize the tank and keep the gas flowing.

Something else I learned is the ignition module provides the ground pulse to run the fuel pump relay (Clymer manual page 256). The pump wont turn on with the key in on (before cranking) , even if the fuel pressure is less than 3 psi. It needs to see the engine turning from the pulse generators before the fuel pump will cycle. This should be an easy way of checking the pulse generators. Put your hand on the fuel pump and crank the engine, if the pump cycles, the pulse generators should be working.

Tomorrow I ride,,,maybe. :oops:

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Re: GL1200 Interstate fuel problem

Postby BigBro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:37 am

well at least you gave everything a good lube job/cleanout before getting out for a good ride.
Good luck cleaning out the Diesel fuel.

Motorcycle: 86 1200 interstate

Re: GL1200 Interstate fuel problem

Postby maxxx1000 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm

good to hear im not the only one that does stuff like that..

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”