GL1200 motor swap

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
nothingbut2
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1100I

GL1200 motor swap

Postby nothingbut2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 am

Hello Guys:

I am interested in swapping out my 84 interstate motor with that of an 85 or 86 (interstate or asspy). I am aware of the rotor relocation, and possible sensor issues with an asspy motor, but I read somewhere there may be a mounting stud issue with any motor other than an 84 (possilby due to the different starters). Can anyone give me any info on these items - the sensor (possibly removing the front cover and replaceing the sensor from the interstate with that of the asspy) and the possibility of a mounting issue, I think it may have involved the subframe. I appreciate the insight. Thanks

Karl

FlWingMan
Motorcycle: 84 GL1200 Interstate
86 ST1100

Re: GL1200 motor swap

Postby FlWingMan » Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 pm

A few years back, (about 45k ago) I patty-caked the original motor in my 84 wing. I found a replacement online from an 86 and installed it. Overall, everything went well, gladly too. The motor mechanically fit into the frame with no problems. The ignition pulsars are not on the front vs the rear of the 84 so the wiring needed to be modified. And if memory serves me right, the color coding didn't match exactly and it took a time or two to get it all sorted out. The other hiccup was the starter is different with the 84 being a unique one. I did have to get a replacement to fit it as my fresh motor didn't come with one. I don't know what my motor came out of though and the alternator portion of the case does seem a bit closer to the fuel tank. I do know the FI motors from the LTD and SEi have a bigger alternator (and case) than the others but I don't think that's what my new one is/was.
FWIW I got my replacement for $300 and free shipping so I jumped on the deal. The alternative was replacing the crank, timing gears, some valves and the associated head work. So yea she bombed pretty good, and wasn't pretty either.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”