Yellow wire 3 pin plug

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Yellow wire 3 pin plug

Postby tbeiler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 am

Hi, got an 86 GW Aspencade at end of last year. Already out riding a few times this spring and bike is running great.
I would like to check out the condition of the yellow wire 3 pin plug and do the solder fix, if not done already. Previous owner didn't know what I was talking about, so I assume it hasn't been done.
Below is an older thread that is copied below that describes the issue that can cause stator failure and the fix is to solder the 3 yellow wires.
The only thing is I have no idea where to look to check it out. Near left side of battery, under the seat????
I checked the forum for a "how to" but no luck.
Can anyone guide me with pictures ideally.
Thanks in advance,
TB (no, I don't have Tuberculosis)

Previous Thread states:
"Secondly the yellow wire three pin plug near the output, on the left side of the battery is poorly designed.. and often cannot handle the 40 + volts, and starts to " cook" and turn toasty brown. When it is toasted, the corrosion on the plugs of this device increases the resistance here and this can cause even more current draw.
Recommended fix ? hard solder the three yellow wires, and triple shrink wrap them.. It only causes a little hassle if you have to un-solder them for removal."

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Yellow wire 3 pin plug

Postby SKMURDOCK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 am

Sorry, I have no picture (still waiting for insurance settlement to allow replacement of my bike, but that is another story.

Anyway, take your battery cover off and the 3 wires are immediately in front of the battery itself, right under the seat. If there is a plug in terminal there, with three yellow in and three out, then the soldering needs to be done.

And, forgive me if you already know this, but the battery cover is the piece of plastic directly under the seat and your left leg when riding.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 am

And while your on your knees,unplug and scrutinize the 4 wire plug next to it.any corrosion in there can kill the ignition.Been there,happen to me.

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am

virgilmobile wrote:And while your on your knees,unplug and scrutinize the 4 wire plug next to it.any corrosion in there can kill the ignition.Been there,happen to me.

that 4 wire plug is only on the 84 models. They moved the pulse generators to the front of the engine in 85 and up. That 4 pin connector is up under the shelter right next to the ECU.

Take your left side battery cover off. Facing the battery you look to the left (toward the front of the bike) and you'll see 3 yellow wires in a white connector. The wires could be white if it's an aftermarket Stator. If you don't see that big white connector you should see where someone spliced the 3 yellow (or white) wires to 3 other yellow wires that go up under the seat. It's the only wires under that cover, to the left of the battery, so they should be easy to spot.

highplainsbubba
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby highplainsbubba » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 am

I have found the easiest thing to do to locate the alternator plug is to go to the back of the engine to where the alternator wires come out of the large cylinder shaped part of the rear engine cover. It is a fairly easy trace back to the battery area. They should run up the left side of the battery where the plug should be located. If no plug is there, you should see a solder repair as stated previously. The wires will run from there to an aluminum box under the false gas tank. That's the voltage regulator.

As my bike is an Interstate, I don't have all the gee gaws the Aspencade does, so it may not be as visible as on mine.

MacNoob
Motorcycle: '85 GL1200 Aspencade
'82 C70
'71 CL175
'08 KLR650

Postby MacNoob » Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 am

See the circuit breaker to the left of the battery, with two big red wires attached? That's where your likely-burnt-up plug is located. I have a breaker there as my GL has the alternator conversion (which is a good option for you if your stator and/or regulator/rectifier is fried.

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 am

Well, I pulled off the left side cover over the battery and lo and behold, i saw that the connector is still there intact, it appears to be in decent shape, although with a lot of dirt and road grime that has collected on the connector over the years. (maybe this dirt has been protecting it).
I can see the three yellow wires below and above the connector. With that being said, I think its time to get rid of the connector and do the solder job.
Just beside this 3 wire connector, moving towards the front of the bike, there is no 4 wire plug on my 86, although the bracket to hold a connector is there. Thanks to jdvorchak for the tidbit about the 4 wire plug moving elsewhere on the 84+ years or else I'd be worried I am missing something that needs to be there.
I'm hoping to get some pictures of the whole affair so I can post it for anyone else needing this repair done.
Thanks to all responders,
TB :mrgreen:

jdvorchak
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 pm

I did a write up with pics on the ngwclub.com forum on how I soldered those wires:

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 43#p327943

chiper96
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby chiper96 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:31 am

I know that this post is old but I thought I would comment on my fix for this problem that I used before I thought about checking online for solutions. I too had problems with the connector melting, and realized that the goldwind uses 50+ volts AC to send to the regulator through these two small guage wired connectors using three yellow wires, I decieded that to fix the problem I would use standard household electrical wiring between the stator and rectifier to handle the voltage as my first fix didn't work and too heated up, I connected the wires together using standard screw on house hold outdoor connectors. This makes a great connection between the two wire, it protects the wires from water etc (like I stated I used the outdoor connectors, they have a corrosion resistent gell inside them) and I can easily remove the connectors if I need to pull the engine. Since this fix I have not had any problems with the wiring.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 am

chiper96 wrote:I know that this post is old but I thought I would comment on my fix for this problem that I used before I thought about checking online for solutions. I too had problems with the connector melting, and realized that the goldwind uses 50+ volts AC to send to the regulator through these two small guage wired connectors using three yellow wires, I decieded that to fix the problem I would use standard household electrical wiring between the stator and rectifier to handle the voltage as my first fix didn't work and too heated up, I connected the wires together using standard screw on house hold outdoor connectors. This makes a great connection between the two wire, it protects the wires from water etc (like I stated I used the outdoor connectors, they have a corrosion resistent gell inside them) and I can easily remove the connectors if I need to pull the engine. Since this fix I have not had any problems with the wiring.

No, no, no, no, no.

Wiring like you just described is what makes me scream when I find it done by a previous bike owner, before I rip it all out and do it correctly.

House wiring and household wiring connectors have NO place on a motorcycle.

Motorcycles are environments of high vibration and temperature changes. Houses don't vibrate, and the temperature doesn't change much. Therefore, wire designed for houses have very large strands (or ONE large strand) of wire. Automotive-type wire has many, tiny strands of wire. The difference is, single or few large-diameter strands of wire are subject to metal fatigue when they are found in areas with vibration. It works for a while...and then the strands break, and you start having intermittent failures. One day you find yourself stranded on the side of the road.

As for the twist-on "Marr" type connectors - again, these are intended for areas with zero vibration and very little in the way of temperature change. In a motorcycle, every time it gets turned on and heats up, these connectors, along with the wires they are trying to hold together, expand - and when the bike cools off, they contract. Each time this happens, it all gets a little more loose, until eventually it falls apart, wires become disconnected, and you have a failure - or worse, you have a short and next thing you know your bike is on FIRE. Keep in mind these wires are very close to the fuel petcock and rubber fuel lines!

Not to mention the fact that these types of connectors allow air in, so that the exposed copper will very quickly oxidize. The "outdoor" connectors have dielectric grease, which causes resistance. In no time flat, this oxidation will cause resistance. Resistance causes heat, which causes more oxidation, which causes more oxidation, which causes more resistance, which causes more heat...eventually the connectors melt, and, well, see above regarding FIRE.

Go back to your bike, rip out everything you just described, and do it properly. Use automotive wire, SOLDER the connections to prevent oxidation, and cover the connections up with heat-shrink tubing. Don't use short cuts on this wiring, it conducts too much power. And DON'T use household wiring on your bike!

jdvorchak
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm with you Admin.. I was in shock that someone would use household wiring on a motor vehicle.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Not to pile on but I agree with Admin. There's a reason there are different wires for home and motor vehicles :) .
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am

It's precisely that type of wiring that causes posts like these:

Nightmare work by previous owners

Rant about previous owners

In fact, there are a couple of people who post pictures of house wire/wire nut type wiring that they had to rip out.

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:56 am

It took me hours to fix the wiring on my 1200. The PO grabbed what ever he had handy I think. I always say if you're not sure then ask a question.
Ed

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Postby jamie f » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey guys,since we're on the stator wire subject,I've got a question.My stator failed and I removed engine and found two coils burnt to a crisp on the stator.The wires were spliced with hard plastic coated butt connectors from previous owner.I know now to solder the wires when I reinstall the engine.My question is,all the wires are yellow leading me to believe it doesn't matter what sequence their wired in.Am I correct,or will I fry another stator just hooking up randomly?Service manual talks about the splice/solder repair but doesn't hit on the area of which yellow to which yellow.Also when checking charging system out,was wondering what voltage should be on yellow wires from bike to stator,wires cut,just checking,already ohmed them out to regulator plug and there good.Thanks in advance

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:44 am

I believe it doesn't matter BUT wait for a more educated answer. I'm 99% sure but not 100%. I can tell you since you have it apart to check the connector up on the front left. The yellow wire is fried there as well.
Ed

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Postby jamie f » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks Sportsfreak.Thats what i was thinking.What wire are you referring to?The one at the regulator?I've checked them,and installed a new regulator also.Another question I have is,should there be power to stator with ignition off?Seems to me when I checked after cutting wires I had 12 volts at one yellow wire and .3 volts at other two yellow wires.Wondering why I'd have voltage there with key off?Thanks,,Jamie

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Any yellow wire can be connected to any other yellow wire, it is three-phase AC, so it's not picky.

jamie f

Postby jamie f » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks Wingadmin.What about voltage being present with key off?Is that normal or should I be looking for a short or bad ignition switch.When stator failed completely,main fuse was blown on starter relay,used jumper wire,found stator wires melting down,,cut stator wires,put in new fuse and bike started right up.That voltage at yellow wires,,,12 volts at one wire and .3 volts at other two yellow wires with key off concerns me.Thanks Jamie

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 am

jamie f wrote:Thanks Wingadmin.What about voltage being present with key off?Is that normal or should I be looking for a short or bad ignition switch.When stator failed completely,main fuse was blown on starter relay,used jumper wire,found stator wires melting down,,cut stator wires,put in new fuse and bike started right up.That voltage at yellow wires,,,12 volts at one wire and .3 volts at other two yellow wires with key off concerns me.Thanks Jamie

I've never measured it, to be sure. The rectifier/regulator is filled with diodes and transistors, and it is possible that there is supposed to be a backfeed of 12 volts from the battery when the ignition is off. More important is whether or not a ground is also there, and if there is leakage.

I would pull the clock fuse for the radio (it's the only thing that should be drawing power with the ignition off), then measure current being drawn at the battery with an ammeter. If you don't see any, then I wouldn't worry about this.

jamie f

Postby jamie f » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks Admin,that eases my mind a bit.New stator and gasket should be here this week,hopefully by friday(have the day off)and I can put the Wing back in one piece.Just bought it a month ago,and have been busy replacing years of neglected parts.Love the way it rides,totally worth the effort.I'll post back when its back together,and if you think of anything else i should check on the charging system,by all means post it.Thank You Jamie

wlkjr
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200I
Previously owned:
1983 750 Sabre
1980 CB750
1975 CB750
1973 CL350

Postby wlkjr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 am

I just pulled the plug apart on my '87 and it looks really good. No signs of corrosion or other problems. My stator was replaced by my dealer in '92 under warranty and I have only put probably about 5000 miles on it since then. Bike only has 50,000 on it now. Since my connector looks so good I'm wondering if I should go ahead and remove the connector and do the solder job. Seems it would be more difficult to check the outputs when it's hardwired. What's your opinions? I probably won't ride over 5k a year for what few I have left.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am

wlkjr wrote:I just pulled the plug apart on my '87 and it looks really good. No signs of corrosion or other problems. My stator was replaced by my dealer in '92 under warranty and I have only put probably about 5000 miles on it since then. Bike only has 50,000 on it now. Since my connector looks so good I'm wondering if I should go ahead and remove the connector and do the solder job. Seems it would be more difficult to check the outputs when it's hardwired. What's your opinions? I probably won't ride over 5k a year for what few I have left.

I did the same thing on my GL1100 - I pulled the connector apart, it looked just fine. I cleaned up the minor corrosion on the contacts, cleaned them well with electrical contact cleaner, and put it back together.

At the end of that riding season, I happened to take another look, and found this:

wlkjr
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200I
Previously owned:
1983 750 Sabre
1980 CB750
1975 CB750
1973 CL350

Postby wlkjr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:02 am

Reckon 16 ga. is ok to use? I have a black roll of 16 automotive I could use to splice onto since there is not enough slack to go straight. Thinking a piece about 3-4 inches long should do it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 am

wlkjr wrote:Reckon 16 ga. is ok to use? I have a black roll of 16 automotive I could use to splice onto since there is not enough slack to go straight. Thinking a piece about 3-4 inches long should do it.

I think I used 14 gauge, but the existing wiring (if memory serves) is 16, so you should be OK using that.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”