charging/speedo

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
petarm1
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 limited edition
1980 gl1100 interstate
1982 Aspencade gl100

charging/speedo

Postby petarm1 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:50 pm

good day folks. went for the first ride of the season and of course there are always some little clichés. when I first started out my speedo was working fine and at 2500 rpm my volt meter was reading 15 volts. after the first 40 km I noticed my volts were at 11.8 at any rpm and my digital speedo stopped working( it will only work when I have my cruise on. then not vary accurate) don't know if this is related to the lack of proper voltage. the rest of the ride was spent at 11.6. when I got home i shut the bike off and that was it, not enuff power to get going again. it is a new battery and i just got the bike back from a local dealer( 2300.00 latter plus parts, not happy) any suggestions to what i may look for with the charging problem

thanks petar

Uncle Werner
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade Parts bike for 1985 Interstate

Re: charging/speedo

Postby Uncle Werner » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Check the three wires coming from the stator where they go into the bayonets, the wires have a tendency to get hot and cause a high resistance at the connection over time. You might have to add some wire, Honda doesn't give you much spare, solder if at all possible.

petarm1
1980 gl1100 interstate
1982 Aspencade gl100

Postby petarm1 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:44 pm

are these wires under the seat. the only wires I see when I remove my left cover are the wires and fuse for the starter solenoid

Uncle Werner

Postby Uncle Werner » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 pm

About where the bottom of the side cover sits and the back of your engine, its round and you'll have a piece of chrome attached 2"x 5". at the base of the housing will be 3 wires or a sheath covering them, just follow and see where they connect, if you can get the bike running put a volt meter on each wire, don't disconnect the wires when you check for voltage, should get 12 volts on all of them, if not, you found your problem wire. Before you panic look for an obvious wire problem or check for continuity of the problem wire to the housing, if you get continuity, then you have a short in that winding, if no continuity,GOOD. Cut the wire back till you get to some good wire and check for voltage.

Uncle Werner

Postby Uncle Werner » Mon May 06, 2013 2:24 am

Uncle Werner wrote:About where the bottom of the side cover sits and the back of your engine, its round and you'll have a piece of chrome attached 2"x 5". at the base of the housing will be 3 wires or a sheath covering them, just follow and see where they connect, if you can get the bike running put a volt meter on each wire, don't disconnect the wires when you check for voltage, should get 12 volts on all of them, if not, you found your problem wire. Before you panic look for an obvious wire problem or check for continuity of the problem wire to the housing, if you get continuity, then you have a short in that winding, if no continuity,GOOD. Cut the wire back till you get to some good wire and check for voltage.
forgot to mention shut the bike off for the continuity check.

highplainsbubba
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby highplainsbubba » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 am

Sounds like you have a stator going out. There is a good youtube video on checking the voltage on the stator.

He checks the DC voltage to ground and finds it to be about 4 volts. I usually check the AC voltage between stator windings and it should be about 12 -14 volts if working properly.

petarm1
1980 gl1100 interstate
1982 Aspencade gl100

Postby petarm1 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm

thanks I will do that. I just removed my tank cover and checked the connections for the regulator. hard wired all the wires. when I start my bike it reads 15 volts at a idle, when reved stays the same them after about 3 minutes drops to 11.9 and stays there with no change no mater what I have for rpm :x .
I will do those test that are on the you tube videa

Uncle Werner

Postby Uncle Werner » Wed May 08, 2013 12:20 am

petarm1 wrote:thanks I will do that. I just removed my tank cover and checked the connections for the regulator. hard wired all the wires. when I start my bike it reads 15 volts at a idle, when reved stays the same them after about 3 minutes drops to 11.9 and stays there with no change no mater what I have for rpm :x .
I will do those test that are on the you tube videa
I found that this interstate hasn't got the charge my aspy had. As soon as I put on my front two side lights my charge would drop to about what my battery charge would be. Instead of changing out my stator I took all my brake bulbs, amber bulbs etc and converted to LED. My charging stays at 14+-. Other then that I had to shut off the front side lights. I am taking a wild guess, whats the possibility that if your charger has to overcharge it shuts down instead of burning its self out. When this was happening to me I started off by cleaning all the connections and coating them with non conductive gel in case their was some resistance happening, just remember how old the wires are and the weather, washing, dirt build up etc.

petarm1
1980 gl1100 interstate
1982 Aspencade gl100

Postby petarm1 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 am

is that possible? I do have a lot of lights on my bike. also is it possible to have a battery that is to small and maybe a gel battery would be better

Uncle Werner

Postby Uncle Werner » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 pm

petarm1 wrote:is that possible? I do have a lot of lights on my bike. also is it possible to have a battery that is to small and maybe a gel battery would be better

I don't think its the battery, if your battery wasn't fully charged your alternator would be putting out higher voltage. thats why you never run a vehicle without the battery hooked up, your alternator would burn itself out trying to charge a battery that isn't there.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”