handle bar cover on a gl1200l

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
robslobb
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200l

handle bar cover on a gl1200l

Postby robslobb » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

new to here just a quick question ! where does the wire go to from the handlebar cover it has a red 2 wire plug and connects to 2 white looks like sencsors i cant find the other end to plug in and do i need them pluged in??

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: handle bar cover on a gl1200l

Postby skier » Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I think that you are talking about the plastic cover that is at the top of the triple tree? If you have the Interstate, I think maybe you don't have the original cover. My Interstate cover has no wires, and is just a plastic shell. I think the Aspencade cover had some control buttons built into it and the wires/connectors.

robslobb
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200l

Postby robslobb » Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 am

no i have a gl1200 Limited edition yes the plastic cover for the triple tree I bought the bike from guy he stated the triple tree was loose he was gonna try to tighten triple tree himself and when i got the bike the cover was off the triple tree ! I tightened up the triple tree and cant find the other end where the wire plugs in too I dont know if it is in the fairing under the tank what the wire does or if i even need it , the bike runs without it plugged in but id like to plug it in there is no lights or anythin on the plactic cover there is just 2 one on each side under the cover looks to me like a senscor or something ! it has 2 wires and a red 2 wire plug the wires are green and brown with a white stripe !

Bray20
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Ltd.

Postby Bray20 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Those are position light covers. There should be a small light fitted into each of the white cases, they illuminate the preset buttons on the radio. According to the electrical prints that is in the Clymer book, it does not show a plug on the end of the lights. The wires go under the false tank. I have a limited and took my handle bar cover off and traced them as far as I could without removing my tank but could not see where they connected. According to the print they connect directly to the ignition switch, radio wire, and lcd meter. The wire colors should be one green and one brown with a white tracer. If you remove your false tank you should be able to find the brown/white wire. I hope this helps.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”