Anyone used chemtool b12....

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
PaulSR
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda GoldWing Interstate

Anyone used chemtool b12....

Postby PaulSR » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

In place of Seafoam??

I have been watching U tube videos on how to clean carbs using seafoam, but the chemtool b12 seems to be a bit stronger (too strong??)

I want to get it into the float bowls of my carbs and let it soak overnight to see if it will clean everything out.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Paul

LoganBP
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1975 CB500T

Re: Anyone used chemtool b12....

Postby LoganBP » Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 am

Hopefully this might help.

I myself have used lots of seafoam but have yet to try chemtool. Seafoam works best as a gas additive I have found, I ran to cans through at tank that I topped up with premium 91 octane and road it around for the day, pulled the bowls and it cleaned out the varnish and gumming. If your planning on just soaking and scrubbing with seafoam I would say be ready to soak for a few days to a week and loosen any stuck in grime first if you can.

My other go to is Kleen-flo carb clean. Works perfect if your planning on rebuilding the carbs or have patience to remove every rubber oring and gasket. Made the mistake with a set of carbs off of a cb500t and it ate the diaphragm rubber and all the orings over night but left the carbs looking new. I've also used Kleen-flo to soak seized brake calipers and it removes paint as well.

air32
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800

Postby air32 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I have used the chem tool b12 in the one gallon can. To use it all the rubber and plaxtic must be removed from the car prior to emershion in the cleaner. Just follow the directions. Also if you do put chem tool b12 cleaner straight in to the float bowl do not start the engine before flowing gas throught the float bowl with the drain screw. If you do start the engine all that gunk that has been disolved by the chem tool will be pulled in to the jets and they will stop up.

If you are talking about the gass additive that is suppossed to be added to twenty or so gallons of gas, I have taken the gas line off and ran all the fuel out of the float bowl and filled the float bowl with the chem tool and let it sit in the float bowl for two hours and the flushed the float bowl sith gas a couple of times before starting the engine. This did not have any adverse effects on the carb. Bear in mind that this method only cleans in side the float bowl up to the level of the gas in the float bowls. There could still be some corrosion or gunk above the fuel level in the top of the carb that gets in there when the ethnol in the gas now a days absorbs moisture throught the float bowl vent. There is a vent on the top of the carb that lets in air to the system when fuel is taken out and lets air back out of the system when the fuel flows in.

PaulSR
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda GoldWing Interstate

Postby PaulSR » Fri May 17, 2013 9:08 pm

This is what I am thinking about doing:

Was wondering if the chemtool would work doing this, but I have since read that it eats seals and such in it's pure form.

What I think I'll do is this treatment and use the chemtool in the gas and let it run through and do it's thing.

Any ideas or has anyone done this??

Thanks,
Paul

1Oldman
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby 1Oldman » Sun May 19, 2013 7:57 am

I used Seafoam and it cleaned inside well but still had to rebuild carbs, rubber diaghrams were laced with holes and the low flow value was stuck part way open. All this was making bike cough at 1500 and 2500. Rebuild took care of all problems. Runs great now, 600 miles later. :D

motorcyclemedic
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1985 GL1200A Aspy

Postby motorcyclemedic » Wed May 22, 2013 7:47 am

You might try Hoppies #9 gunpowder solvent- most any gun store has it- will disolve most grime and varnish in carberators- I have used it with good success on many carb overhauls- I also used the B12- I tore down the carbs to bare bodies- I mean completely apart, and soaked the body and bowls in the B12- works very well- but very harsh- wear reparator, eye protection and good gloves- rinse out with brake cleaner, follow up with milder sovent. The best carb tech advise is also avaialble free from Randakks Cycle- he has the best after market kits for GL carbs-- read all his tech aids before you do anything!! (including listening to me!) Randal is a master GL man- I was privleged to work with him on the Electric Fuel Pump conversion for the early GLs. Anyway, good luck- again, look at Randals tech tips- there is a washer in the linkage of the GL carbs- if it is misplaced - nothing will work right!! don't ask me how I know- read the tips!! Good Luck!! Dennis

dudeboy
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing interstate wineberry

Postby dudeboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:27 pm

I took my carbs off and dissasembled them. then I soaked them in pinesol ( the cleaning solution) the next day they were new clean and pinesol doesnt eat rubber or plastics. I then washed them with water and let them air dry for anougther day. This is something many mechnics do.

dkcloud
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dkcloud » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 am

I always use b-12 Chemtool.
It works Great for me.
I use it as a gas additive instead of Seafoam because B-12 seems to do a better job with less.
I have tried Seafoam in the past but my choice is B-12 Chemtool

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”