spark plig issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
DRDIESEL77
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1977 GL1000
1986 Suzuki GS550L

spark plig issues

Postby DRDIESEL77 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 am

I am having electrical problems on my 84 Aspy. First, my fuel pump quit causing my bike to die after being taken out of storage form the winter. I did the Prelude fuel pump swap and while trying to start after the new pump install, the lcd dash went out. After searching the forum, I found the black/brown wire coming out of the fuse panel bad. Fixed the wire and the dash works now but bike still wont start. Pulled all four spark plugs and tested spark on the plugs. I had intermittent spark while cranking. I noticed that when the spark plugs weren't touching the anything metal on the bike I had great spark, but when I let the threads of the plug touch metal I loose all spark on that plug. This is different from what I have always known about spark plugs. I am at a loss and could use some help if anyone has some ideas as to why this is happening. I thought that it may be low battery volts, but I still have the same problem with the charger on the battery. I should mention that I can get a strong spark to jump from the plug to metal on the bike when they held over a inch from anything metal.

Kalamata
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: spark plig issues

Postby Kalamata » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm

DRDIESEL77 wrote:I am having electrical problems on my 84 Aspy. First, my fuel pump quit causing my bike to die after being taken out of storage form the winter. I did the Prelude fuel pump swap and while trying to start after the new pump install, the lcd dash went out. After searching the forum, I found the black/brown wire coming out of the fuse panel bad. Fixed the wire and the dash works now but bike still wont start. Pulled all four spark plugs and tested spark on the plugs. I had intermittent spark while cranking. I noticed that when the spark plugs weren't touching the anything metal on the bike I had great spark, but when I let the threads of the plug touch metal I loose all spark on that plug. This is different from what I have always known about spark plugs. I am at a loss and could use some help if anyone has some ideas as to why this is happening. I thought that it may be low battery volts, but I still have the same problem with the charger on the battery.

DRDIESEL77, I am here scratching my head with the spark issue. You are not supposed to have any spark if the spark plug is not touching metal since is not completing the circuit (missing ground). Have you checked your ground cable connection to the engine and the frame? A lot of people always look at electrical problems like the positive is the only cause of it, but reality is that the ground connection is as or more important than the positive connection since electrons move from the negative pole to the positive pole in a circuit.

I should mention that I can get a strong spark to jump from the plug to metal on the bike when they held over a inch from anything metal.

Is the metal on the engine or the frame of the bike? If the spark is stronger on the frame than in the engine you need to clean the ground connection to the engine. There is a faulty ground on the engine block.
Jose

Current Ride:
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 800

Previous Bikes:
1982 Yamaha Seca 750
1986 Honda Rebel 250
1975 Honda CB360T

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”