Timming

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Hankbw
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Timming

Postby Hankbw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 pm

I am hoping that you can help me out. I bought a 1985 Limited and I have been told that it is a unique engine to that year and model only. Other than fuel injection and electronic ignition it appears to be the same as other 1200's. My problem is that the previous owner had it in storage for 6 years and I am now thinking it was because he tried to fix it and messed it up. When I first started it it had a miss and a knock on the left bank. On further examination I found the timing belts appear to be out of proper alignment. I hope to rectify this and replace the belts but I am having difficulties with the timing marks. The right cam sprocket has two sets of marks. One set is 90 degrees out from the "up" and the keyway. The other is about 10 degrees off of that. The left side has only the one set and I can't find any on the crank. From side to side the don't line up together so if that is messed up I can only assume the crank is out. Do you have any idea where I can find the crank timing marks to ensure I get TDC? After I get it aligned I will restart the engine and pray really hard that I have no damage to the pistons and valves.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timming

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Here's the one you want to use:

Timing marks on right cam sprocket
Timing marks on right cam sprocket

When it is aligned as shown, the left cam mark should also be aligned, and the engine should be at TDC (The T-1) mark. There is a small flat inspection port on the top of the engine case that can be removed with a flat screwdriver. Underneath you will find a "T-1" mark indicating TDC. It should be aligned with the mark on the case as shown:

T-1 Timing Mark on top of engine case
T-1 Timing Mark on top of engine case

When properly aligned, both cam marks should be lined up, and the T-1 mark should also be lined up.

Once the belts are off, don't turn the cams!

Also, turn the engine over by hand instead of just "hitting the start button and praying." You can remove the engine crank cover at the back of the engine and turn it by putting a socket on the exposed bolt (clockwise only!). Remove the spark plugs first to make it easier to turn. Any resistance felt, stop turning and figure out what is wrong. Make sure you have it make at least two full revolutions before calling it good.

speedymph1000
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby speedymph1000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 am

Also make sure you get a wrench on the right side cam gear(the side the dipstick is on) and hold that gear when you take the belts off or it'll spin because it is under pressure. If you let it spin free, you'll have to regime the whole deal. Good luck.

Hankbw
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Postby Hankbw » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you! My engine seems to be a bit different but generally this gave me a good idea. I had another reply also that sent a link to a video. It appears that whoever did it last had the left cam 2 teeth out. New belts and proper alignment and it runs like a new bike! Thanks to all who helped!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”