Oil smoke on start up

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Wings of Gold
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing limited 1200

Oil smoke on start up

Postby Wings of Gold » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 am

I recently bought a 1985 Goldwing LTD 1200, the fellow I bought it from said it tends to smoke on start up but stops after warm up and doesn t smoke going down the road, I found this to be true, quite a bit of smoke after setting for a week but it quits and doesn t seem to use any oil, I m worried it might have worn valve guides, is this a coming problem?

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: Oil smoke on start up

Postby Calzone » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:09 am

If your using the side stand oil can seep by the rings and cause smoke on start. After a good run where it is not smoking try parking it on the center stand and leave it sit as normal and see if it smokes.
It is near impossible to get smoke in any visual amount through the valve guides, . If the center stand does stop the smoke then there you go, I wouldn't worry about it. You can run 16OZ of marvel mystery oil with your oil and see if you can loosen up the rings..this can give excellent results sometimes.

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 am

Thank you this is a great forum and I am relieved, this bike only has 30000 miles on it, your comment is much appreciated.

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 am

No problem 30K is low , maybe the bike sat up for some time , I have one with 10K that sat 23 years, It is going through the same thing but with the oil treatment and riding often it is clearing up.
Good luck.
By the way if you add marvel or any oil treatment be sure not to over fill and try to keep the oil leven half way up the window or whatever level indicator the bike has.

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Thank you all for the information, very helpful.

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:45 am

As soon as I put the bike on center stand the smoke stopped. thanks.

Coolride
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 aspencade

Postby Coolride » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm

I just did my head gaskets on a bike I just bought with 45K miles, and I can say, the cylinders had no wear, still can see the hone scratches . It smoked on the left side real bad on startup, but after about about a month of riding ,and a couple hundred miles, all's well now. Now I have the fuelpump click which I fixed, and a fork seal leak just started up, but I'm happy over all, and I'm finishing up the paint job now,and the bike looks new going down the road.Next year I can get my antique plate for my new bike. :lol:

Wings of Gold

Postby Wings of Gold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for your reply, I changed the oil and filter, replaced the oil with Castrol 20/50 and 10 ounces of marvel mystery oil, placed the bike on center stand and no more smoke. Having trouble getting a left front brake cylinder rebuild kit, ordered another one from k&l off amazon an and its on the way, bought one from a cycle shop, and the rubber was too small, hopefully the new one will be right.

Coolride
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 aspencade

Postby Coolride » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:16 am

You mean too small as if you can't get it on the plunger, if so , that's the way it will be. It'll will fit on, but it's a crazy stretch job, use something plastic for a pick to stretch it over, and some brake fluid to help it go on. The clutch side uses the same kit as other dirtbikes ,etc.. Also , their are two holes in the bottom of the reservoir to clean, the one you''l see, and the one micro small hole under the silver metal cover at the bottom , to pull off with small needle nose pliers. Mine was so plugged, when I let the clutch out, it would hold the fluid from returning to the reservoir, and my clutch wouldn't engage for a few seconds.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”