Parking lights blowing fuse on 85 LTD

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Parking lights blowing fuse on 85 LTD

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Was riding the other day and lost all parking lights. i pulled over and found the fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and it too blew instantly. Direct power to ground short some where. I got the bike home on the 4 way flashers and a small led light to see the dash. I tore it down and started to work on finding the problem. Just for the high ho hell of it I put a new fuse in the fuse box and presto change o the lights all worked again. I know this was not a good thing. As if it happened once it will happen again. Had to go some where earlier today so I threw the bike back together. Getting pretty good at it by now so it only took a few minutes. Got no farther than a block from the house, and you guessed it, it blew the fuse. At this point I had no choice but to continue on as someone was waiting for me. Got it back home without incident, thankfully! Going to tear it apart AGAIN to try to find out what the heck is going on. Anyone have this kind of problem before with one of these bikes? A good starting point or direction may speed this process up. Thanks for any advice!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Parking lights blowing fuse on 85 LTD

Postby trike lady » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Seems like there's a wire making contact when the body panels are on and then add vibration to allow it to make contact. Take the body panels off and the wire is released and it's not making contact. I'd start looking for a wire that looks crushed/pinched.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 am

When I first stopped in the parking lot I had taken the panels off and the seat and moved many wires around trying to do just that. Even laid down on the ground under the boxes to check and move wires and and it still blew the new fuse instantly. Will definitely try again though! Thank you for the advice!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Instead of constantly blowing fuses as you test it.Rig up a fuse replacement....
For the parking lamp circuit,you can use a old headlight lamp or brake light....Just attach it in place of the fuse...with wires obviously...
While the dead short exists,the lamp will burn full brightness and when you wiggle loose or remove the short,the lamp will go dim...
No more guessing if it's fixed and blowing another fuse and easily verify where the problem is.
Is there a chance that a trailer lamp pigtail has been added???? Or add on lighting.??
There usually the first suspect area to look at rather than the bikes OEM wiring....

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:24 am

I like your idea Virgil ! I may try that! I have removed ALL but 2 added lights to the bike. The only 2 I left were the 2 on the mudflap behind the rear tire. I recently replaced a bulb in it that had been out from day I bought it. And the thought of it causing the issue was the very first thing that crossed my mind when this problem first revealed itself. So I am definitely not ruling it out. I removed all of the wiring and relays that were left on the bike from where someone had added lights to the bike at some point. Trying to eliminate future problems as this bike has been proven not to be capable of adding lights without causing major issues. I keep a very close eye on the volt gauge to make sure things are "cool" there. I do have a test light and may try to get that to work in place of the home made set up you have described. Not sure it would work the way intended do to its design though. It is not a auto store bought test light, in other words not a cheap piece of junk. I used to be a professional mechanic and most of my tools say Mac on them. Without having an extra pair hands to hold it in place I don't think I will be able to make it work and will most likely being trying or suggestion. Thank you for the information!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm afraid just a test light won't work for this kind of test.....It draws too little current to be able to determine if the circuit is shorted or just has a couple of park lamps on it....
What I do that works....Determine the fuse size...say a 10 amp....select a lamp that draws about half that to light up....A old headlight is around 50 watt,near 5 amp....rig up the wires to it with push on connectors and plug it in place of the fuse..
A direct short will simply light it up near full brightness and a normal load(park lamps) will reduce it to about half bright.
A small current lamp(test lamp) would simply stay full bright as it only draws a tenth of a amp or so.
Using a large lamp is a visual indicator of the load on the circuit...Increase the load,the lamp gets brighter,reduce the load,it gets dim....

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 am

Thank you again for the information Virgil! I hope to try this soon. I have been busy with work and unable to do any further testing to this point. As soon as I get the time I will use this method and post on here as to what the outcome of the testing revealed.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 am

Just wanted to update everyone on this issue. Found the problem. It was a direct short in the wiring on the lights that are attached to mud flap on the rear of the bike. removed all of the light assembly from the mud flap and replaced with a custom modified set up using strobe lights. Will eventually hook up to the brake wiring for more visibility when braking.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”