Help me turn off the tail light indicator

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A Aspencade

Help me turn off the tail light indicator

Postby bwagner6 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello friends.... I installed LED tail lights which caused the tail light indicator to stay on. Is there an easy way to get the silly thing off? I love the lights, very bright but don't like the light on the dash. Thanks in advance....

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: Help me turn off the tail light indicator

Postby 1stwing » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Bob - I recently bought an 85 Aspencade that had the same problem. I removed the LED lamps and the "Tail Light" light went out. Some research indicates that the electrical load differs between LED lamps and conventional lamps. This, apparently, causes an electrical load imbalance sensed by the "Tail Light" sensor, similar to a burned out conventional lamp. My choice was to simply go back to conventional lamps. You can do this, disable the "Tail Light" sensor light or, and I don't know that this will work - J&P Cycles advertises an item called a "Metric Load Equalizer". When installed, this creates an equivalent load the same as conventional lamps and causes the turn signal relay to flash at the same rate it would with conventional lamps instead of the faster rate it flashes when LEDs are installed due to the lower load. I do NOT know if this would have a similar effect on the "Tail Light" sensor, but it could be worth investigating. Hope this is of some help - Ride Safe, Vince. By the way - a description of this item can be found in the J&P Catalog, their catalog item number is: ZZ36648.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”