gl1200 fuel problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
basher
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500 trike

gl1200 fuel problem

Postby basher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:15 pm

hi,been a while but i'm having a big issue with my fuel system and supposed to be going for my m.o.t on Thursday.
the problem is as soon as I turn the bike over fuel pours out of the top connecting pipe between the two carbs on the left,mine has a T piece there and it just flowing out.
took the carbs off to have a look and the rght breather is the same Tpiece with no pipe connected so nothing has come of I think.
any help would be greatly appreciated,cheers,Bash

hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Re: gl1200 fuel problem

Postby hotwire » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey, basher, has your bike been setting for awhile? If so, you probably have one or both floats stuck on the bottom of the float bowls due to the carb fuel evaporating and leaving a gummy residue in the bowl which in turn dries and the float(s) stick to it. The pipe between the carbs at the top is an atmospheric vent that is used to provide air to the float bowls, and if the floats can't shut off the needle vavle(s) and seat them against the fuel flow into carb bowl, they will leak at this vent.
You can try to pull the fuel supply hose at the carb right over the shifter,(rear carb), and shoot some carb cleaner back into that fitting. The carbs have a fuel pipe between them, and if the bike has not been set up for a long while, you may get lucky. I'd shoot them full and let it set overnight and perhaps, the cleaner will allow the floats to break loose. You can also, (but I STRESS),LIGHTLY peck on the float bowls before you re-attach the supply hose and try it. If this doesn't work after a couple of tries, you're probably gonna have to remove the carbs and clean them. You could try seafoam in the tank IF the leaking gas wasn't a fire hazzard, but..... I wouldn't take the chance of burning my garage down. One other suggestion, and you may do this, but putting your bike on the center stand and occasionally starting it up in times of little use will help this problem, I speak with the voice of experience.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”