GL Standard Not Starting

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mckaiser
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Standard

GL Standard Not Starting

Postby mckaiser » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey folks!
New to the forum and pretty new to these bikes! I got mine (an 84) last Summer, but went off to work out of town over the winter and let the bike sit. I put in a fuel stabilizer when I was back home for a couple weeks, and let it run with the fuel on "off." I left the bike on a charger which overheated and was probably faulty (it was really hot, according to a roommate who took it off for me). When I got home, I tried to start it up. It will crank nicely but just won't turn over (the fuel line IS on). When it was running over last Summer it would backfire out of the exhaust pretty consistently.
What I've done so far is pretty basic- just made sure that it isn't hydrolocked, and cleaned the spark plugs and tested their spark. I figured I'd check here before opening the old girl up. Anything I might be missing that's a bit obvious or common?
Thanks for any help y'all! The weather is awesome and I want to get out and ride!

2WheelBoy
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: GL Standard Not Starting

Postby 2WheelBoy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:41 pm

I had the same thing happen to my '78 GL-1000 that sat idle in my garage while I recovered from surgery. When I went to start it this Spring, it too, would backfire and barely run. I bought a complete carb rebuild kit and DVD for my motorcycle carb rebuild, did it, and at completion, it immediately fired right up! I found tiny passage ways in the emulsion tubes, and jets to be completely blocked with dried fuel remains. This could be your problem. All four of my carbs were heavily stained internally by gasoline deposits making throttle slides a bit sticky. Carb work is a very delicate and time consuming undertaking, but sometimes necessary as years go by and these old motorcycles are generally not ridden a lot. This would be my guess. 2WheelBoy

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”