head gasket repair on gl1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
kurt
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing
1200 interstate

head gasket repair on gl1200

Postby kurt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:41 pm

when we got this bike in feb. it was overheating. we checked the water pump but it seemed fine. but we did find that the previous owner had put a screw in the weep hole. we removed the screw and what do you know the water pump was bad. Since, we have replace the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, plugs and wires, brakes,and air filter, oil filter, oil and more oil. now my husband says that we need to replace the head and valve cover gasket. I bought all the gaskets and seals. I have a machine shop ready to mill the heads just to be sure their not warped. My question is how do we reset the timing after the heads are milled and ready to go back on? will a bad head gasket make the antifreeze blow back into the holding tank?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: head gasket repair on gl1200

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:26 pm

If you don't already have the service manual for the 1200, then you should get one now, as it describes the exact procedure for setting timing when reassembling the heads. That said, unless it's overheated badly, chances are it's just the head gasket that needs to be replaced, and you should be able to get away without milling.

As for blowing coolant into the reservoir, yes, absolutely a leaky head gasket can cause this.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 pm

As wingman says, yes a faulty/failed head gasket will pressurise the cooling system and cause anti-freeze to blow back into the expansion tank. A compression test should have been performed before you started all the work you listed.. Still we live and learn. I would still run a compression test before pulling the heads off, although from your problem (anti-freeze being pushed into the expansion tank) I would be pretty sure the head gasket has failed.

Gary

kurt
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing
1200 interstate

Postby kurt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:51 pm

thank you so much. the work we've already done wasn't all because of the overheating, we just bought the bike and did'nt know when it was last given any care to it. I was reading the online help that you guys have, and they all said to change the timing belts on a regular basis. But when we found the screw in the weep hole, we kinda figured that the other guy might have been hiding a bad water pump. Thank you very much for all the help that you guys have given us so far on this bike. hopefully we can ride it soon

nightair
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade Special Edition

Postby nightair » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I just had the same problem you have/had. The engine oil temp was sky high, there was coolant in the reservoir, the eng vacuum was low and the compression was low. Thing was-- the engine temp was mid to high. I let the engine cool and after removing the cap the fluid was low, filled it and when I started it a guyser shot out, put the cap back on and within 5 minutes of running there was total whit smoke out the exhausts.
Shop found a huge carbon deposited on a valve which slightly bent it, they put in a new valve and did a valve job, surfaced the heads and installed all new top end gaskets plus timing belts. Watch for seized timing belt idler pulleys if near salt, mine where near the point of seizing.
Hope this helps anyone else who may have a similar dilemma.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”