Tail Light Problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Chippom
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Tail Light Problem

Postby Chippom » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 pm

I have an 87 aspencade and the tail lights will not work nor do the licence plate light or the back light for the instrument panel. I realize all these are on the same circuit. The Tail light warning switch is on. The back light on the instument panel was coming on and off when i hit the brakes but now that has quit working all together too. That is the only bulb I haven't replaced as I am not sure how to get to it. All brake lights do work with both foot and hand brake. Fuse is good and getting power. (I checked it with a test light) I checked fuse in left fairing pouch too and that is good and getting power. I tested the power to the connectors under the seat and I am only getting power when I apply the brake. I bought a tail light sensor off ebay and replaced that but that didn't help either (unless it was bad too) I'm not sure where else to go from here. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Chip Pommert

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Tail Light Problem

Postby actionpack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

did u try running a jumper wire to your rear tail lite and see if they come on , i found bad wires running down along the inner rear fender , and also a bad ground , hope this helps

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Sounds like a bad earth connection. Try connecting a wire from the negative side of the battery and connecting the other end to the ground of the rear light/brake bulb and see if everything lights up. If it does then you have lost the ground.. Either find the break in the wire or run another wire in parallel.

Chippom

Postby Chippom » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:43 pm

actionpack
I was thinking the wiring must be OK (from under the seat back to the lights anyway)since the brake lights all work and they use the same bulbs. There are two in the trunk and the two lower ones and as I said all of them work when I apply the brakes but no power to them for the tail lights when I checked at the connectors under the seat. I'm not much of an electrician so I could be wrong though...
I did inspect the wiring from under the seat back as well as the bulb sockets, and looked for pinched wires ect... but everything appears to be OK in the rear and the wiring from the seat towards the front of the bike is all still wrapped in the factory harness/tape. I didn't want to start ripping into that if there might be some other way to go about looking for the answer. Thanks for the suggestion I might try it tomorrow and see what happens.

thrasherg
I will deffinately give that a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes... Thanks! Not sure what you mean by "run another wire in parallel" but I guess I'll get to that if I get them to come on.
I really appreciate the help guys!!!
Chip Pommert

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 am

Hi Chip,

buy run another wire in parallel, I just meant put a new wire from the bulb earth point to the battery negative terminal. But as you say, lets prove if it's an earth issue or not, then find a fix.

Gary

Chippom

Postby Chippom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Well I tryed connecting a wire from the negative side of the battery and connecting the other end to the ground of the rear light/brake bulb. Nothing still. I did find a guy who is semi-retired that used to work for Polaris and Honda and works on bikes at his home now. He is going to take a shot at it for me. I'm going to take it over to his place tomorrow for him to work on. With my limited electrical abilitites I think this will be the way to go this time but I thank you guys for the suggestions and I will let you know what he finds when I get it back. Maybe it will help someone else later down the road. I love the forum and I'll be hanging around. My GL1200 is still running strong and I plan on keeping it and I like doing as much of the work as I can myself.
Chip Pommert

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Well at least you ruled out a ground problem at the light.. Hopefully you will have the bike back all fixed fairly quickly.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”