1200 speedometer, tach, and gauges

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

1200 speedometer, tach, and gauges

Postby hotwire » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi, guys, just a quick question to maybe save me a lot of possible grief, if anyone knows the answer.
My '85 1200A has a bad speed sensor, and although knowing how fast you're going is not a big priority, I'm just ONE of those people.... Kinda bites that Honda builds a bike to last virtually forever and puts a part on it, i.e., (speed sensor), that doesn't. To add insult to injury, they discontinue the part!! And now, anybody who has one, understandably wants a war pension for it. Now to my question.... I wouldn't mind to change my digital dash for an analog speedometer set, if I knew the wiring would co-operate.
The gearbox on the wheel will work with a cable, but does anyone know if the wiring harness will interchange? To me, even the cost would be worth it, because of never having to look for a discontinued speed sensor, just seems the cable is more reliable. Call me nuts, but I like to tinker anyway, good cold weather project, and YES, I will admit I do like to know how fast I'm going, I live in the fastest growing speed trap in East Tenn. ( Greene County), if you visit and plan to go fast, make sure to bring your wallet, yeah, I'm callin' 'em out online!!! They hide behind signs, drive unmarked Chevy Impalas, even got a Harley with blue lights on it.( They only use it when it aint rainin'.) Geeeezz!! Go figure. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1200 speedometer, tach, and gauges

Postby redial » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 pm

There are two possible solutions for your predicament, wrong - there should be three:
    1. Fix the existing arrangement, but then you would have to find a working wheel;
    2. Get a GPS that will also tell you how fast you are going; and,
    3. Get a honda gearbox assy speedo, like this one:
    Item Number on eBay 390619655145 it is currently listed at about $65, so that might be an easy solution, and there is also one for $33, but that one looks like it has been used, and if you are having trouble with the plastics, it might have to be the new one.

Hope one of these solutions works for you
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”