HELP! Stuck on a non-starting bike in MN

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
YogiKai
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 Aspencade

HELP! Stuck on a non-starting bike in MN

Postby YogiKai » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:09 am

Anyone with knowhow and inclination near Rogers, MN? Bike started not running right yesterday; seemed to not want to GO under load. I thought I had gotten some bad gas, guess not. Was on my way to a campground when I had to stop for a light, then it just died. It seems like it still has power, but when I try to start it, I just hear a single click on the right side of the bike.

Needless to say, I'm not real mechanically inclined. Also, the bike was given to me by a stranger as a tip for a balloon in Dec. It hasn't given me any trouble until now; 11k later. I am traveling with very little money, making It as I go. If you think you can help and are wiling, please call me. Don't post a reply here because it is much harder to reply. Thank you in advance for your help
Kai 541-290-1025

YogiKai
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: HELP! Stuck on a non-starting bike in MN

Postby YogiKai » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Ok, new info. I was aable to get the bike jumped and moved 5 miles to Walmart in Maple City. The bike died as I was parking it and about 1/2 an hour later, it held no charge at all. It is presently sitting on a charger. So, the 5 mile ride did not charge the battery at all. After the battery is charged, I guess I'll find out if it is the battery or something more dire. Here's hoping it is just the battery...

Interesting happenings regarding the bike today: 1. The guy who provided the jump offered me $20 out of the blue. 2. The owner of the gas station where I was stuck last night offered to fill the tank for free. Again, out of the blue. 3. While taking the battery off the bike at Walmart to put it on a cheap trickle charger I bought, a gentleman in a newer SUV told mme that he's a biker and that he would be happy to take the battery to his house and put it on a big charger and then bring it back later. Since he was standing next to his 15 year old son at the time, I figured he was on the level. So, I've had lunch and am now researching what it might be if it isn't the battery. Any help from those who know would be greatly appreciated..

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Re: HELP! Stuck on a non-starting bike in MN

Postby kwild » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Are your stator wires (wire coupler) in good condition. They have a tendency to corrode and melt, they do get really hot.. If it is in bad shape, you could cut out the coupler and wire crimp (temporary) the 3 yellow wires together. The coupler is under your LEFT side panel to the left of the battery....3 yellow wires. You'll need a little wire to bridge the gap if you remove the coupler
There are some other options to get home if that is not the problem. Good luck. Keep us posted.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”