Series regulator for '85 LTD

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
greenbikespike

Series regulator for '85 LTD

Postby greenbikespike » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Our '85 LTD has been sitting in pieces due to an elusive electrical problem for a couple months now. To make a long story short, my father-in-law is an electronics technician and he says that the shunt-type regulator/rectifier needs to be replaced with a series-type one. He found that Shindengen makes one (model number SH775,35amps) but I called the company and they said they can only sell it to Honda dealers. I asked our local dealership about it and they were clueless. We've got another bike shop owner checking on it, but I wanted to run it by you folks, too. Does anyone know how we can get one of these things or if there's another one out there that's constructed the same way that will work on our bike?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Series regulator for '85 LTD

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 am

I have never heard of anyone replacing the shunt-type regulator in a Goldwing with a series regulator, and don't know what problems (if any) would arise from it. Keep in mind that the stator is a permanent magnet generator, and will produce full power at high RPM - something the regulator needs to deal with, unlike an alternator. My worry would be this: the OEM shunt regulator sinks all unused current to ground (and produces a lot of heat doing so). A series regulator only allows the current through that is required - potentially meaning the unused generated power could be dissipated as heat inside the stator itself - and the GL1100 and GL1200 stators are already fragile enough as it is.

If you are having problems with the regulator, my first suggestion would be to replace it with an original GL1200 OEM shunt regulator - you can buy used ones on eBay for a reasonable price (under $30).

greenbikespike

Re: Series regulator for '85 LTD

Postby greenbikespike » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am

We purchased a series regulator/regulator from Oregonmotorcycleparts.com. It works GREAT!!! My husband installed it, changed the wires to both the alternator and regulator to 10 gauge, and replaced the battery. All the electrical readings are as they should be. The alternator does not get hot. He had a bit of a scare when he was testing it and got a 50 volt reading from the regulator. He found that a new connector hadn't completely connected, so the regulator did just what a series regulator is supposed to do. Many thanks to Tony at Oregon Motorcycle Parts for offering a superior product to OEM at a reasonable price *AND* guaranteeing it, for shipping it out incredibly quickly (ordered Friday night at 9pm Iowa time, got it in the mail Monday), and for top-notch customer service in patiently answering all our questions.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”