Temp spike

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Lucky713
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Temp spike

Postby Lucky713 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Okay, Here we go again. I have posted about a similar problem, but this is really starting to confuse me as to what is going on. I have a 1986 Gl1200 SEI. 2 years ago I posted about the temp spiking. everyone suggested a new thermostat. So I did, and that fixed the prob. Then last year in August the Temp started spiking again. My bike always runs at three bars on the temp gauge, no matter whether its 50 or if its 95 degrees. So when the temp starting spiking last year, I thought maybe I had a bad thermostat. so I replaced it at the end of the season. So far this year, 3 bars max. All of sudden last week it spiked to 6-7 bars especially when I'm stopped. I thought it was because of the high temps outside. took it for a ride tonight and its doing the same thing. Temp tonight was 80-82. When I get out on the highway I am doing 75 and the temp will slowly drop from 6 bars down to 4. when I come to stop it will spike up to 6 or 7. Once I get moving it drops to about 5. If I get back on the highway it drops to 4 bars. Like I said I replaced the thermostat last Sept and its been running 3 bars all summer long. There are no coolant leaks at all, and the coolant in the reservoir tank is right where it is supposed to be. So can someone give some direction on what I need to look at next. By the way, when I come to a stop the fan is working, and I got off the bike and it is pushing air through the radiator. The air did feel cool though and I would expect it to be hot if the temp gauge is reading 6-7. So I am really confused as to what is going on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Temp spike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:58 pm

I believe the cores in your radiator are getting plugged. You are correct in not feeling any heat when you should . The coolant is entering the top of the radiator but not passing thru so little is transferring heat to air. You will have to pull it out and take it to a radiator shop. They can use muridic acid to flush out the cores. Good luck.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 am

Sounds like a radiator issue, for sure. There';s one more thing I'd think about. Where do you get your thermostats? I've seen cheap stats go bad and it's far from unknown for one from most any manufacturer to be defective.

Here's what I'd do if it were me. Take the rad off and have it flushed, or do it yourself if you can. Get another new stat. People seem to have good luck with NAPA and I got one from there when I reconditioned my cooling system on the '77. This would be a good time to take a look at your hoses.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 am

I assume that you have cleaned the dead bugs, leaves, grass, and other 'road kill' from the cooling vanes of the radiator? Sometimes there is so much clutter around there, that the air cannot just pass through. But if you get your radiator flushed, that would be done as well. If you are going to do it yourself, dont forget to paint it black to assist heat transfer - using a rattle can would be the best way to get into all of those vanes. Have fun!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Lucky713
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Postby Lucky713 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Update:

Thanks for the information guys. I actually just did a radiator flush without taking the whole radiator out. I used Prestones radiator flush concentrate. Since I did the flush, the temp gauge has been staying right at 3 bars, no matter what the temp is outside. By the way, for anyone else reading this post, while reading the maintenance manual on my bike it is recommended in the manual that you flush the radiator every 2 years. I have had the bike for 4 and have never done a flush. So I probably just had some junk built up that was blocking things up. Anyways, I appreciate the comments, it ended up being a very inexpensive fix. $5.68 for the flush and some elbow grease and time.

rickstir
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby rickstir » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

I just had my radiator rotted out and they had to pull one of the end caps and re-solder, it was a small leak. Only $100, well worth it.
I have spent a lot of time chasing my tail trying to get this Wing to run cool in the desert, reversed the fan, lower temperature thermostat, you can even get a lower temperature fans switch from Napa, but I haven't figured out how to adapt the thread size.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:16 pm

rickstir wrote:I just had my radiator rotted out and they had to pull one of the end caps and re-solder, it was a small leak. Only $100, well worth it.
I have spent a lot of time chasing my tail trying to get this Wing to run cool in the desert, reversed the fan, lower temperature thermostat, you can even get a lower temperature fans switch from Napa, but I haven't figured out how to adapt the thread size.

Hi Rickstir, if you want to keep the temp. down in the heat, do not go to a low temp themostate as it will stay open and the fluid will not stay in the radiator long enough to cool down, the thermostate is there to hold the hot fluid in long enough for the fan to cool it down befor it goes back into the engine and it should be a 195-198F degree thermostate.
The coolent should be no more then 50/50 as more anti-freeze can cause an over heating condition, 40/60 is for feezing weather only, not summer. Since you live in the desert area, the low temp. themostate in the cold desert winter will not allow the engine to reach normal operating temp of 196-198F and can cause problems with the old state of art electronics/sensers that do not re-adjust themselves like the new bikes do to new condions that where not programed into them.
I hope this will help your heating problem, I could be wrong, but as I have lived in So.Ca. for 56 years an ridden 100's of times on bikes in the desert at 100-110 degree's and never had an over heating problem on 5 different Goldwings (1 1100A-2 1200A-2 1500I & S) I run my bike's just as I have stated which is also the Mfg. recomendations in the owners manual. Good luck, ride safe. :mrgreen:

DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”