Swing Arm Left Pivot Bolt Locknut Wrench.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jpmurphy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate Voyager Trike

Swing Arm Left Pivot Bolt Locknut Wrench.

Postby jpmurphy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:52 pm

I have to replace the stator on my 86 1200I Wing. Need to drop the swing arm but I don't have the left Pivot Bolt locknut wrench the manual calls for. The local Honda repair shop has gone out of business and I can't move forward without this wrench. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS THIS ?? :?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Swing Arm Left Pivot Bolt Locknut Wrench.

Postby themainviking » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 pm

If you are stuck, take a pipe that would fit the nut and grind it down so it is notched to fit where it needs to go. You may also be able to use a large enough socket, so you would have the hole in the other end for a socket wrench. If you cannot buy a tool, make a tool. If you can. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jpmurphy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate Voyager Trike

Postby jpmurphy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Will see what I can come up with. Thanks...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm

themainviking wrote:If you are stuck, take a pipe that would fit the nut and grind it down so it is notched to fit where it needs to go. You may also be able to use a large enough socket, so you would have the hole in the other end for a socket wrench. If you cannot buy a tool, make a tool. If you can. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

That's what I did - took a large deep socket, drilled out the middle of it, and welded a piece of a small crappy stamped 1/2" wrench on the edge, so I could fit a torque wrench into it. Then put a socket extension with the smaller socket on the end in the middle of the big one, and fit the whole thing in place.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:55 pm

jpmurphy wrote:I have to replace the stator on my 86 1200I Wing. Need to drop the swing arm but I don't have the left Pivot Bolt locknut wrench the manual calls for. The local Honda repair shop has gone out of business and I can't move forward without this wrench. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS THIS ?? :?

Are you trying to do the stator with the motor in the bike?I didn't think it could be done that way.When I did my 84 Int. I just yanked the motor.If you're pulling the motor you don't need to do touch the swingarm.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”