oil overpressure and leak.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tradagent
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

oil overpressure and leak.

Postby tradagent » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:09 am

My bike is a 1985 GL1200 Interstate.
I changed my stator and regulator. Unfortunately, I had limited time before I had to go out of the country for work, and I only managed to get about 90% of everything back together before I left. Now, one year later, I have, over the last few days, put most everything back together, and I have a problem. I am not sure if I have all of the vacuum lines on properly. There is a canister on the right side of the bike with a 3/8" hose and a 1/8" hose coming out of each end. The hoses on one end were not removed. This is the canister which has a chromed cover when everything is put together. I was not sure where these hoses were supposed to plug into. I found a 3/8" vacuum line that I had pinched between the engine and frame when I put the engine in. I managed to free it, and thought it was the hose that was supposed to connect with the line into the canister. I can't begin to tell you where the other end of the 3/8" hose leads to, other than it goes somewhere under the carbs.
The only place I could find that seemed to have a need for a 1/8" hose was a screw in cap, on the left top side of the engine. This cap has a straight nipple. When I ran the engine this cap had oil seeping out of the nipple. Obviously, hooking the 1/8" hose to this cap made a wonderful smoke screen, as the vacuum sucked oil out and into the cylinders. I also found that running the engine creates an overpressure in the fuel tank. I have not been able to find any vacuum line diagrams which might help me out. Any suggestions?
Thank you very much.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”