Bike shuts off when riding

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade

Bike shuts off when riding

Postby JT.Thomas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I would like to know if anyone has had this problem. When riding my Gl1200 Aspen Cade the bike will just stop running as if I turned the key off. It may do this with in a 2 mile ride or not do it at all in a 500 mile ride. You never know when it will do it. When it stops running ill pull the clutch in and hit the starter button and it may start right back up or ill have to coast off to the side of the road and it may take 10 mins till it starts up again. It also has shut off sitting at a red light. It has spark when im trying to start it back up. When it does this and im trying to start it, it will back fire (a loud crack). I have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, fuel cut relay, all gas lines and filter, fuel pump (85 prelude). I still have this problem. Can anyone help?

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Bike shuts off when riding

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

Can I assume it just dies like you hit the kill switch?
If so,its not fuel related.
It's spark.
One day while idling my 1200 and the battery cover off,I bumped the 4 wire plug to the left of the battery....The engine died instantly.
I disconnected the plug (pulse coils) and found corrosion in it.
Wala.the ignition lost the tiny pulses and the ignition quit.
I cut the plug off just like the 3 yellow wire plug and soldered them direct.
Those pulse coils have a very low voltage,typically less than 1/2 volt and even the slightest loss of connection will kill the ignition.
Your pop is fuel igniting in the exhaust after a no start condition.
The spark you see is on one half of the total system too.
If a pulse is weak it can misfire the engine.
The connection can also be very random.Not like a thermal break in the pulse coil.
So after all my rambling,inspect all the electrical connections feeding the ignition module.Including the kill switch itself.They can also be disassembled and cleaned.

Whew.Sorry for all the words.

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Re: Bike shuts off when riding

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:30 am

try this

with the bike running turn the bars so that you can access the right hand connectors in the fairing. grab the large connector and wiggle the wires. if the bike shuts down then you have to fix the connector for the main power wire going from the ignition to the connector.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”