speedometer change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

speedometer change

Postby hotwire » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:15 am

Hi, guys. I own a '85 aspy w/ digital display speedometer, and as many of you who also own, may know that the speed sensor on the front wheel is a discontinued part by Honda. I'm writing this post in hopes of picking somebody's brain that is larger than mine, to see if any of you would know if it is possible to change out the digital dash display with an analog one like that came on an Interstate?
Of course, my twisted thinking is that then, I could use an old-fashioned speedometer CABLE instead of trying to chase the elusive sensor down that doesn't seem to exist anywhere on cyber-space, perhaps unless you're willing to re-mortgage your house and sell your kids to pay for it!! Besides, I LIKE old-fashioned, and really want to have a working speedometer, even at the cost of the bike no longer being "original". And I know I could use my wife's Garmin, but....... 'nuff said. Is the wiring harness the same? The swap-out will be no problem for me, a knuckle-buster from way back, just lookin' for anyone that perhaps been down this pig-path before... any help will bring great accolades from this humble wanna-be. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: speedometer change

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:42 pm

An owner of a 1985 had the same problem, he found that the (still available) speed sensor from a 2000 Valkyrie worked fine, you just have to swap the connector. Here's where he wrote about it: 1985 Goldwing speed sensor

hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Postby hotwire » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 pm

WingAdmin: I actually have tried a known good speed sensor out on my bike with the same results.
My problem started with the speedometer reading all over the place, and finally quitting altogether.
I have checked the wiring, and haven't found any problems, but that does not mean that I didn't miss something. Everything else on the digital display seems to work just fine, (except the odometer, of course), so I am thinking about a changeover to a dash out of an Interstate or such, that is not digital, and adding a cable, since I know they will bolt to the wheel gear, any knowledge if the digital gauges are problematic like this? If so, I hesitate to buy another used one and end up with the same problem, thanks for any suggestions......Respectfully, Hotwire. P.S. (If it is indeed the display at fault).

rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Postby rockford75 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 pm

hotwire wrote:Hi, guys. I own a '85 aspy w/ digital display speedometer, and as many of you who also own, may know that the speed sensor on the front wheel is a discontinued part by Honda. I'm writing this post in hopes of picking somebody's brain that is larger than mine, to see if any of you would know if it is possible to change out the digital dash display with an analog one like that came on an Interstate?
Of course, my twisted thinking is that then, I could use an old-fashioned speedometer CABLE instead of trying to chase the elusive sensor down that doesn't seem to exist anywhere on cyber-space, perhaps unless you're willing to re-mortgage your house and sell your kids to pay for it!! Besides, I LIKE old-fashioned, and really want to have a working speedometer, even at the cost of the bike no longer being "original". And I know I could use my wife's Garmin, but....... 'nuff said. Is the wiring harness the same? The swap-out will be no problem for me, a knuckle-buster from way back, just lookin' for anyone that perhaps been down this pig-path before... any help will bring great accolades from this humble wanna-be. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello I found a aftermarket speedo here http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/GL11 ... art_83471/ Its pretty basic it fits a 80-83 goldwing but iam sure you can make it fit your bike.

A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”