CB Volume Issue - after Hand-held Mic Removal

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
WingMan71
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1981 CB650C (sold)

CB Volume Issue - after Hand-held Mic Removal

Postby WingMan71 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Hello All,

My first post and question on this site, and it's a stumper!

I'm hoping the site owner spots this post as I am well aware of his expertise with electrical/electronic issues.

I have an electrical troubleshooting manual for my bike ('87 Aspencade) in addition to the factory service manual, and have spent quite some time trying to figure out how the PO modified the CB circuit on the bike to use a hand-held mic to transmit on the CB. He apparently didn't have a helmet headset, so instead installed a hand-held mic and used the bike's speakers to listen to received transmissions.

I have traced the wires from the handlebar CB switches and they disappear down inside the snotted up mess of wires under the left side fairing pocket. There have definitely been some changes made in there. They don't follow the circuit diagram in the ET manual!

I AM actually able to use the entire CB system with my helmet headsets, but one problem remains, which I think must be tied to a previous modification to use a hand-held mic (the cable for which, by the way, was snaked out from under the soft cover on the left fairing pocket when it was in use). I know that from a picture of the bike from the PO. When I bought the bike, the hand-held CB mike had just been removed.

The problem is that the volume control for the CB is extremely sensitive and must be turned nearly all the way down to minimum to even use the CB. Turning the volume up merely an eighth of an inch results in nearly ear-splitting volume to the headsets during CB use.

I know that's not much to go on, but that's the best description of the installation and symptoms that I can give. I'm thinking that the PO must have added something to the circuit to get a hand-help mic to operate properly. I don't think it was originally designed for that.

Any thoughts on what I might look for in the circuit that shouldn't be there or that I might remove, etc., to get the CB volume control to be more linear again and not pop both of our eardrums at the minimum volume setting?

If this were a mechanical issue, I'd have it solved by now. This one's got me baffled.

Thanks very much for any advice or experience.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: CB Volume Issue - after Hand-held Mic Removal

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 pm

That's an odd one. If the hand-held mic was a dynamic mic, he would have had to just wire it into the existing harness, and hooked up the switch on the mic to the PTT switch harness.

If he used an electret mic, he would have had to put a voltage source to bias the mic, along with an amplifier of some sort to amplify the audio level, as the output from an electret mic is much lower than that of a dynamic mic.

I have one question - is the ear-splitting volume occurring when you RECEIVE transmissions from others as well, or only when you transmit, and you hear your own voice (sidetone) in your headset as you talk?

If it's only when you transmit, then I would guess that there is still an electret amplifier in there somewhere that is amplifying the dynamic mic in your helmet when it doesn't need to be, causing huge overmodulation.

If it is ear-splitting when you transmit AND when you receive, I doubt it has anything to do with the mic conversion, other than perhaps the wiring harness is a bit messed up.

WingMan71
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1981 CB650C (sold)

Postby WingMan71 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello GS,

Thanks so much for replying.

I had a picture of the old hand-held mic somewhere, but can't seem to find it now. It was big and looked very much like the hand-held mic for an old Cobra CB for a car. Don't know if you can tell what type of mic it is by looks or not. Probably not.

If it was an electret mic, there is no evidence of any extra amp or power source to it remaining under the left fairing pocket. I suspect is was just a dynamic mic.

The volume is ear-splitting loud on BOTH transmit and receive.

As I said, as best as I can interpret the circuit diagram in the ET manual, some of the wires headed down from the CB switches on the left handlebar instrument cluster don't seem to be going where they are supposed to be going. It's been a while since I traced them, so I may need to look again and give it another try.

Is there a possibility that something in the stock CB system is broken or failing and causing this problem, and it has nothing to do with the old hand-held mic install and removal?

I see that you sold your trusty old GL1100 in favor of your new-to-you GL1500. I remember you posting up some nice pics of her on the Steve Saunders site (I think) when you first got her, like a proud new owner.

It's unlikely I'll ever give up my GL1200. If my right hip finally gives out on me, I'll probably sell the GL1800 and hang on to the old GL1200. To me, the GL1200s were the best looking Gold Wing ever built, and a great compromise between size, power, and comfort.

Thanks again for your help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:30 pm

OK, if it is really loud on both transmit and receive, then chances are that there is something wrong in the CB itself, or the main amplifier.

WingMan71
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1981 CB650C (sold)

Postby WingMan71 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 am

WingAdmin wrote:OK, if it is really loud on both transmit and receive, then chances are that there is something wrong in the CB itself, or the main amplifier.

Would that be true even if everything else in the system (intercom and stereo) works correctly with proper linear control of volume?

I'm guessing "Yes", since the CB unit seems to be separate and discrete from the main stereo unit on a GL1200.

I wonder if Sierra Electronics still works on these old units? Worth a quick check with them, I suppose.

Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:20 pm

WingMan71 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:OK, if it is really loud on both transmit and receive, then chances are that there is something wrong in the CB itself, or the main amplifier.

Would that be true even if everything else in the system (intercom and stereo) works correctly with proper linear control of volume?

I'm guessing "Yes", since the CB unit seems to be separate and discrete from the main stereo unit on a GL1200.

I wonder if Sierra Electronics still works on these old units? Worth a quick check with them, I suppose.

Thanks.

It points more to the CB itself than the main amplifier. And yes, Sierra is the only place that still works on these old radios and CBs.

WingMan71
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1981 CB650C (sold)

Postby WingMan71 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It points more to the CB itself than the main amplifier. And yes, Sierra is the only place that still works on these old radios and CBs.

OK...

Looks like I'll have to pull it out of the fairing, send it off to them, and cross my fingers.

Thanks very much for your help!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”