Goldwing Stator Wire Melting Connector

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwingltd85
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition

Goldwing Stator Wire Melting Connector

Postby goldwingltd85 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello everyone.. New the the forum. Just a little bit about me and my problem.. I inherited My dads 85 LTD and not long after he passed I put a regulator and Stator in his bike.. About a year later I moved to California and had to leave my bike back in Indiana for 4 years.. Finally got it out here and rode it a few times,and someone hit it,, Short story,, It sat for the last 4 years,,Went and got a battery and gas today,, And it fired right up.. while checking things over I noticed one of the wires to the stator connector looks a little burnt,, took the connector apart and one of the wires started melting the connector.. And the connector is getting HOT.. I have read about hardwiring it,,and am going to get a voltmeter tomorrow from work and check it.. Turn the bike on and the volts read 11.8 . Start it and it goes to 14 - 14.2 it seams like everything is working ok any thoughts? And where is the regulator located? Read something about hardwiring it to.. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She was my Dads baby now she is mine.. want to get riding her again without any problems

chasrogers
Motorcycle: 1982 interstate
1983 aspincade

Re: Goldwing Stator Wire Melting Connector

Postby chasrogers » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:17 pm

I did the hard wiring to my 1982 interstate and it was great only thing I did as well was use heat shrink tubing to cover the soldered joints and exposed wire no way it will short now and never heats up and yes 14 to 14.2 is normal it is charging perfectly so you caught it just in time if they had shorted it would cost you a new staiter or a poorboy mod :ugeek: :ugeek: :D

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:25 pm

That connection by the battery for the stator is the worst. Do hard wire and cut it out. The regulator/rectifier plug on my Aspencade is under the false tank. I just unplugged it and put die-electric grease on the connectors and plugged it back together. Then pushed in some more where the wires enter the plug. Should keep the corrosion out. Just don't it set to long with California gas in the tank without fuel stabilizer. You should be good to go.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for the help Guys,
I seen on another site that I should cut as much of the wire that I can,,and replace it with 12g wire? would you suggest that?.. Got the wire,electric solder, shrink tubes, all ready to go. Am going to take as many connectors apart as I can and use cleaner then Die- grease, I decided to take everything apart since it had sat for so long and change the air filter,, and to my amazement when I lifter the cover off,, half of the air filter was gone..and there was a mouse nest twice the size of your fist.. (from when it sat in Indiana. I can not believe the bike even started.. and I rode it about 500 miles out here..going to use the shop vac and get it all out..

Mooseman
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I would just cut back to good wire and if you have enough make the splice. I think I went as far as the wire loom along the frame and made a splice with #12 then down to the battery area splice. But it does make another splice. The less the better.
Mooseman

chasrogers
Motorcycle: 1982 interstate
1983 aspincade

Postby chasrogers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 am

wow mouse nest my 1983 Aspincade sat near French lick Indianna for a full year and when I opened the air box same thing as well as about 300 acorn shells in the box along with other stuff what a mess :o

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:14 pm

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm

I just might get away with just cutting the Connector out and splicing them together,, The only damage I am seeing is one of the wires n the connector is burned,, the other 2 look good still. The burned on is the only one that has corrosion on it. I will look at the wire a little closer this weekend. Just ordered a air filter,oil filter,and fuel filter. I wish they made a direct radio replacement with Cd.. the tape deck on mine drags.. dont really want to cut the harness connector to put a aftermarket one in.. :? I posted a couple picks of the filter and box..I am going to scrub the whole area to get rid of the smell..lol
Last edited by goldwingltd85 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 pm

I know the French Lick area well.. When I was little we rode this to my G-ma's in Morengo IN And went to FL often.. It sat on a farm in Ft Wayne for 5 yrs.. It surprises me this is all I am finding..lol

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

That terrible connector is responsible for killing Many Many stators , and quite a few reg/rect's too, as it takes the stator down ...

Recommend :
a) Cut the yellow wires back to good wire ...

b) Do the three part stator test :
http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm
or here :
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... -test.html

c) Clean up the three yellow wires, Western Lineman splice, good solder job , and triple shrink wrap them

d) and perhaps think about a Electrical Connections harness : to eliminate the rest of the "iffy" connections

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wir ... charge.htm

Good luck, and happy riding !

SilverDave

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Silverdave,,and Everyone.. Got it hard wired (wires are just warm not hot like they were) Fuel filter,air filter, Found out the dealer reversed the fuel filter and lines.. Geeszzz!!.. Start it up and its Running fine.. 14.1-3v.... Then I notice the volts drop to around 12.8-13.. turn it off,start it up and it goes back to 14v..runs at that for a while, the fan kicks on and the volts drop to 13.8 turn the turn signal on to..and it drops to the low 12s...fan goes off,turn the turn signal off,,goes up to 14v... idles for a while drops to the 12's again.. turn it off,,restart it and it goes back to 14.. is this the voltage regulator? Hope you all can follow that..lol

Mooseman
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Yip, that is just the nature of the system. Don't you just love it. I installed a volt meter on mine to keep a eye on things. That is pretty much how mine acts. Any little current draw drops the voltage. City stop and go traffic is the worst. Fan comes on, brake lights and turn signal and at idle. I just watch the ol meter fall off for a bit. Back up to speed and it's showing a good charge again. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the meter to keep watching. Just an idoit light that comes on at 10.5/11 volts or so would be perfect.
Mooseman

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 pm

What is weird.. is it didnt do it before I hard wired the Stator.. but there again.. it has been sitting for 4 yrs and I didnt let it Idle that long before I noticed the stator wire was burt.. Did you change your regulator Moose? and its still doing it? I did put electrical grease in the fuse box connectors ,, could that cause something like that?

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 am

I also noticed that when I idled it up,, the voltage didnt go up.. then later it would.. I am going to check all my connections.. The Stator and regulator I do believe have around 10,000m on them.. Lights are still bright and everything,,could it be a weak reg?

Mooseman
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 am

All sounds good. It just the way they operate. The stator puts out very little voltage at idle and then picks up the faster the motor turns. Not like a alternator that will put out good voltage at idle. The regulator/rectifier just keeps the system in tolerance and takes any excess voltage when the battery is charged and turns it to heat.
Mooseman

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

There is a test for a faulty Rect/reg in the manual if you think you have to replace it ...
Usually a dying Stator will take down the rect/reg as well...

But yours sounds like its working as it was designed to... high / low, etc

If you replace the tail light , and turn signals with LED's you will get a little less of that....
or just learn to live with it ... LOL... and ride fast / ride often

Did you think about installing an Electrical Connections harness :
It also replaces and hard wires most of the "iffy" wires at the rect / reg ...
Mine were brittle, but not melted ...

Most 1200 owners also have installed a voltmeter, (so you can worry intelligently )
and many also carry , in the saddle bag, something like a Battery Tender Jr, to plug in after any long , slow parade ride ...

something like :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tender- ... 0395637138

( although you can usually find it at a cheaper price )

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 am

goldwingltd85 wrote:I also noticed that when I idled it up,, the voltage didnt go up.. then later it would.. I am going to check all my connections.. The Stator and regulator I do believe have around 10,000m on them.. Lights are still bright and everything,,could it be a weak reg?

If you spent some time idling, the bike is actually using more power than the stator is supplying, so it uses up some of the battery reserve to keep the bike running. If you let it sit and idle for long enough, it will actually kill the battery and the bike will quit.

When you start revving the engine once again, the stator produces enough power to run the bike once more. However, the battery has been discharged by the time sitting at idle, so excess power from the stator is used to recharge the battery - which is why the voltage stays down.

Once the battery is recharged, you will see the voltage come back up again.

goldwingltd85

Postby goldwingltd85 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for All of your help guys, If you all say thats the way they run,, then I believe you.
I am not that knowledgeable about the Bike, But I am mechanical.. My Dad bought it brand new,and it has been in 2 floods up to the seat,and on its side all day in one of them,always stored outside till I got it.. I put about 4500 into it not to long after I got it. Including when he passed I went through his goldwing jacket that I buried him in and found 1500 in a envelope labeled Exhaust. So I put the Orig exhaust back on it, I spent all winter in the garage cleaning it. When I took it back to the Dealer where he bought it,they thought I bought a new bike..lol, I rode it almost every day. Then I moved to California and it sat back in Indiana for 5 yrs, Had it shipped out here and rode it for about 500 miles and some guy backed into it at the bank and buckled the front fender knocking it on its side. That was 4 years ago,didnt have the money to fix it at the time. But I tell you what, I am so happy to be getting it going again,, Thats why its great to find people like you all since I am not that knowledgeable about the inner workings of these bikes.. I really appreciate all of your help,, I really do, Thank You again :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”