haunted --won't start occassionally

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE

haunted --won't start occassionally

Postby LDodge » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:19 am

Hi all --
My '85 Aspy has a little ghost in her. Usually she starts right up, even on cold 40°F, though she needs a bit of time to warm up on those cold morning (so do I for that matter :lol: ) It usually smells strongly of fumes when started for a few minutes.
Every once in a while (maybe once a month -- I drive her daily) I will start her and drive to the next town (10 miles away) away, shut her down do, do an errand like returning a book to the library -- never for more than 5 minutes when this has happened, come back and she won't turn over. It sounds like the kill switch has been thrown but it is in the run position. I usually wait 5 - 10 minutes and presto; she starts right up. I thought maybe it was fuel levels, but this has happened with low levels or full tank; yesterday it happened after I filled up and then I had to wait 30+ minutes to get her to start. After that she runs like a lady.

This has happened on warm days and not so warm days (October in Wisconsin can be a bit chilly :mrgreen: ) but always during daylight hours.

The battery is new, the starter rebuilt in June, Poor boy alternator mod in July, new fuel filter / spark plugs in June.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Re: haunted --won't start occassionally

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Long list of possibilities. If I were you I would start with the basics (if the problem occurs at a time you can investigate.) I would pull the plugs to see how they look, check for spark, etc. If they are dry it's likely no fuel. If they are wet it could be flooded. With the "smell" I would guess it is flooding unless you find there is no spark. Anyhow I'd chase that rabbit before I started to looking for bad switches and grounds, shorts and such.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”