Exercises for resuming Winging

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Exercises for resuming Winging

Postby SilverDave » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Because of repairs, surgery, more repairs... and sigh .... even more surgery
... the GoldWing AND the driver have been " Off the road " for 14 months or so ... :(

I want to get back into motorcycling shape so I can ride , this coming spring , to the FAR NORTH to visit a new grandchild ... :)

Any suggestions for " Getting back into shape " so I can safely do that ?

( I got new glasses, new helmet, and new knee pads for my riding suit )

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Exercises for resuming Winging

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Eat properly, walk until you can do so comfortably, do some sit ups and some upper and lower body strength exercises, till you feel that you are getting in better shape. Then next year, ride for about a month till you feel comfortable again, and then go to a parking lot and practice all the things that we do when riding, like loops, cones (using the parking lot lines), stops, starts. Even though I have not been injured in quite some time, I do all these things in the winter and the early riding season. Parking Lot Practice is an important part of my getting ready to ride safely each year. Other than that, if the bike is in good shape, you should then be good to go anywhere.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Join the local gym and talk to one of there trainers. If you follow there instructions and stick with it you will be better then you were before all the problems started. At first you will hate life but as time goes on you will start feeling better. My doctor said you didn't start falling apart at 50 it is what you did to yourself up to 50. He was right the busy I got with life and family the less I paid attention to my physical health. I am in better shape now then I have been since I was 30. I fell better and hardly ever even get sick. I found I enjoy going to the gym and I have met a lot of good people.

Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate

Postby Wingrider63 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 pm

All good advice but I'd be careful of sit ups they're tough on the lower back. You didn't say what surgeries you had and it makes a difference. If you had physical therapy you may decide to continue the exercises they gave you. If you had some surgeries there may be a reason NOT to do some exercises. Check with your PT to see if it makes sense for you. Otherwise try free weights or machines that will allow you to strengthen your extremities and your core. Bikes are heavy and you need to be strong enough to lift it back upright. ;) Have fun, get strong and we'll see you on the road.

Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 am

I would suggest a stairmaster or find a building of at least ten stories and uses the stairs every day, seriously.
You need lower leg conditioning to stabilize bike at a standstill, to move it and especially loading a passenger.

Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”