lithium ion batteries (shorai batteries)

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wing86new1
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade sei
and 1978 gl1000

lithium ion batteries (shorai batteries)

Postby wing86new1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

Was wondering if anyone has tried the newer lithium ion batteries to try to compete with the stator issues at idle? any input on this would be helpful

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: lithium ion batteries (shorai batteries)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm not really sure what you would gain. Li-Ion batteries have a higher energy density, lower weight, but when it comes down to it, you are still limited by what your stator can put out. Unless you are spending a huge amount of time at idle and regularly running your battery down as a result, I wouldn't bother.

Rosok
Motorcycle: 1985 LTD

Re: lithium ion batteries (shorai batteries)

Postby Rosok » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:25 pm

wing86new1 wrote:Was wondering if anyone has tried the newer lithium ion batteries to try to compete with the stator issues at idle? any input on this would be helpful

I have one of these batteries on my DRZ400, which I bought mainly for the reduced weight on my dual purpose bike. The battery is located up high and every little bit helps in the dirt, especially when you fall over. Not that I ever do :roll:

I don't imagine we are worried quite as much regarding the weight aspect on the Goldwing, it being so heavy already. And of course the cost is quite a bit higher than a lead acid type.

From what I've read prior to installing it in my 400 is that they are very sensitive to charge voltages. They don't like much over the mid 14v range, or under 13.5v either. And you have to be careful on what kind of charger you use on it if it needs a charge down the road. Assuming you have the goldwings standard charging system, I'm not sure how these batteries would like any extended idling. But then of course lead acids don't like it either.

the battery is working great in my dirt bike, but its only been about 8mths so far, so not much of a test yet.

there is some good information in this link with regards to this battery.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... attery.htm
Smoothness counts

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”