removing false fuel tank

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
loopy
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 interstate

removing false fuel tank

Postby loopy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:04 am

Is there a posting out there that shows how to remove the false fuel tank on a GL 1200 interstate.
I need to clean fuel tank but don't want to remove from bike.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Re: removing false fuel tank

Postby tprender » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Not sure if there is a posting on how to remove the false tank cover, but here goes what I did 2 weeks ago.
1. Take the seat off
2. Take off the plastic cover off above the tank and next to the 2 pockets . Pry up the bottom and the pull the cover off. Under the plastic over is a bolt on each side that holds the tank in place(10mm)
3. Take off both side covers and then take out the bolts(10mm) on each side of the false tank.
4. You might have to take off one or both of the pockets out to raise up the false tank.
5. Not sure if you have to take out the tool tray before taking the cover off.
I think that is all that is needed to get the cover off. Not that hard of a job. Best of luck.

loopy

Postby loopy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:41 am

Thank you so much. Have you had any issues with rust with your fuel tank?

My bike is running very rough on idle and rev range under 2000 rpm. Suspect idle jets dirty because of rust particles in the tank.

Have read much about cleaning tank with Apple cider vinegar which I want to try withour taking out the tank which I believe is a very difficult job.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:10 am

By just removing the false tank, you are not even close to were the real gas tank is located. The real gas tank is located inside of the frame towards the rear of the bike. There are posts on how to get the gas tank out. I think that the main resaon you get rustr inside of tanks, is when they are parked for some time with less than a full tank of gas. That is why I fill mine up when I put it away for the winter season. I had to coat a tank about 15 yrs ago and I used the "Cream" (not sure of the spelling) brand and I was not happy with the results. If I was to do another one I would find a different product to use. I think the name of the product is called "Rust Bandit".

hunter27h
Motorcycle: 1 1985 Honda Goldwings ltd trike
1989 GL1500
1991 GL1500 SE

Postby hunter27h » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am

I cleaned a 1500 tank that was full of rust and sludge (had been sitting for 7 years with gas in the tank) using a product called "rusteco" and there is a website, product was expensive about $120.00, approximately a quart of material, then fill the rest of the tank with distilled water, let sit for 7 days vacuum out the water with a shop vac, had to replace fuel pump as well, but when the tank was then emptied, it looked like brand new metal inside, did not coat it, just filled with gas, and a can of sea foam, it took a while and maybe three tanks of gas and 3 cans of seafoam, but it actually cleaned the carbs well enough that it ran good

loopy

Postby loopy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks again. Did you remove the tank from your 1500 or did you do it whilst in the bike.
I am tempted to clean without taking out.

hunter27h
1989 GL1500
1991 GL1500 SE

Postby hunter27h » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:17 pm

did it in the bike, it's a chore to remove those tanks, someone else on one of the forums told me about the rusteco stuff, and the good thing about it is that it is not caustic, all organic, don't know how it works, or what it is but it worked on that tank.

loopy

Postby loopy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:43 am

I was intending to clean mine in the bike also. How did you manage to suck all the rust out to ensure it was clean ?
hunter27h wrote:did it in the bike, it's a chore to remove those tanks, someone else on one of the forums told me about the rusteco stuff, and the good thing about it is that it is not caustic, all organic, don't know how it works, or what it is but it worked on that tank.

loopy

Postby loopy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:03 am

Further to that last posting, I have also been researching Rustco and it seems a very good/safe product. However it is not available in Australia anywhere. I have seen many posting about using Apple cider vinegar that apparently cleans tanks clean as a whistle. Any thoughts.Rustco
loopy wrote:I was intending to clean mine in the bike also. How did you manage to suck all the rust out to ensure it was clean ?
hunter27h wrote:did it in the bike, it's a chore to remove those tanks, someone else on one of the forums told me about the rusteco stuff, and the good thing about it is that it is not caustic, all organic, don't know how it works, or what it is but it worked on that tank.

hunter27h
1989 GL1500
1991 GL1500 SE

Postby hunter27h » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:25 pm

I used a shop vac, to get the original stuff out and saved it for other uses, as it will continue to work, for how long I don't know, I gave it to a friend to use, on the 1200 tank, I would open the petcock and continue to pour distilled water through it, until it was clear, and then maybe use the shop vac to blow through the tank to get residual out of it, then fill up with fuel, plan on using a couple of filters, to pick up anything else. I had to order the Rusteco from the manufacturer, and apple cider vinegar might work, according to the manufacturer, it is all organic, vinegar might be worth a try, I would try most anything before I started to remove that tank unless I had other work to do on the rear, I have been told that the first thing that is installed on the bikes is the tank. I converted my ltd to a trike, and I know how much stuff I had to remove to do that, and more would be involved in getting that tank out.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”