84 gl1200 oil leaking from bolt below the head.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tombyers
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200

84 gl1200 oil leaking from bolt below the head.

Postby tombyers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

I cannot stop the oil from leaking out of a bolt below the engine head. It is actually part of the engine head. It is the little bolt at the bottom underneath the head. So to tighten it I insert the wrench between the exhaust pipes where the exhaust connects to the head. I tried to tighten it with and without a washer. The bolt (I think its 10mm) has a flange on it. I don't think the oil is coming from the head gasket because that part is a water coolant port so I think it would be leaking coolant. I am pretty sure the oil is coming from the bolt shaft to the engine and is leaking out from between the bolt and the engine case. Should I try a neoprene or felt washer? A steel washer wont stop the leak.

tombyers
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200

Re: 84 gl1200 oil leaking from bolt below the head.

Postby tombyers » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I have been thinking about the oil leak and have concluded that it leaks from that bolt because when I installed the new head gasket I forgot to tighten that little bolt under the head in sequence with the bigger bolts that hold on the head. I forgot about the little bolt under the head until I was bolting on the exhuast. Then I noticed it and put the nut on. Thats probably why it leaks there.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”