1984 GL1200 will not run

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Erae
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200A

1984 GL1200 will not run

Postby Erae » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Recently purchased a 1984 Aspencade the previous owner said it just poped a few times and quit .To date I have checked engine compression not great but lowest was 125 PSI should be enough to run.Checked camshaft timing ,marks are right on. I have good new fuel to the carbs and have replaced carbs with ones from a running bike still no go. I have spark at the plugs and ignition timing looks correct yet the bike will not run it does fire when cranking with choke on and almost keeps running I checked the pulse generator resistance , ignition coil primary and secondary resistance ,replaced spark plugs and wires . One thing that seems strange is that no matter how much I choke the bike while cranking the plugs never get wet. Any one have any ideas what to check next?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: 1984 GL1200 will not run

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working? Sounds like you are not getting any fuel to the carbs also I assume you have changed the fuel filter. Try running a test on the pump to see if it is putting out any fuel,and keep us posted on what you find.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Erae

Postby Erae » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:48 pm

HALBUDD wrote:Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working? Sounds like you are not getting any fuel to the carbs also I assume you have changed the fuel filter. Try running a test on the pump to see if it is putting out any fuel,and keep us posted on what you find.

I did check the fuel pump and replaced the filter the pump was with in specs and I also tried a known good pump still nothing

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:25 pm

ok You said you checked the timing,does that mean the timing hole on top of the motor? Did it set for a long time ? If you remove one of the plugs and try to start it do you get raw fuel showing up in it? I would say its your jets but you said that you tried a good set of carbs and still not running.Also have you checked the carbs to see if there is fuel in the bowls,try checking the drain screw see if fuel is coming out off them.Did you have a good blue arc from the spark plugs. One other thing comes to mind how about the spark plug wires are the in the right firing order.If you had them reversed this also could be the problem. Hopefully some of the other guys may have some other ideas.------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 pm

That's what I would check and confirm. Make sure you got the plug wires back to their proper plug. Easy to mix up when pulling carbs. It has happened here before. Plus recheck all those vacuum lines. Plus even though you put on good carbs. If you get it running you will still have to adjust them. Keep us posted on your progress.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Erae

Postby Erae » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:08 pm

HALBUDD wrote:ok You said you checked the timing,does that mean the timing hole on top of the motor? Did it set for a long time ? If you remove one of the plugs and try to start it do you get raw fuel showing up in it? I would say its your jets but you said that you tried a good set of carbs and still not running.Also have you checked the carbs to see if there is fuel in the bowls,try checking the drain screw see if fuel is coming out off them.Did you have a good blue arc from the spark plugs. One other thing comes to mind how about the spark plug wires are the in the right firing order.If you had them reversed this also could be the problem. Hopefully some of the other guys may have some other ideas.------------Hal

Thanks for your interest Halbudd . I have checked the Cam trimming with flywheel marks and cam marks as you mentioned . I never seem to get a lot of raw fuel on plugs or in cylinders. I checked ignition trimming with a test light and just cranking it over trimming mark in window seems to be very close. The spark to the plugs looks Ok hard to tell if it's strong enough it will jump a 1/2 inch to ground.I did check the plug wires for correct location from gnition coils to cylinders. The 84 wings pulse generator is at the rear of the engine and requires engine removal to remove it but the resistance measures the specs givin in the service manual .I have been a HD Mechanic for over 30 years it's driving me nuts must be missing something .

Erae

Postby Erae » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Erae wrote:
HALBUDD wrote:Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working? Sounds like you are not getting any fuel to the carbs also I assume you have changed the fuel filter. Try running a test on the pump to see if it is putting out any fuel,and keep us posted on what you find.

I did check the fuel pump and replaced the filter the pump was with in specs and I also tried a known good pump still nothing
Mooseman wrote:That's what I would check and confirm. Make sure you got the plug wires back to their proper plug. Easy to mix up when pulling carbs. It has happened here before. Plus recheck all those vacuum lines. Plus even though you put on good carbs. If you get it running you will still have to adjust them. Keep us posted on your progress.

I do have fuel in the carb bowls.l

Mooseman
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 pm

With 30 years experience, you are right. A real head scratcher. Has to be something simple or bizzar. I think next I might try disconnecting all fuses except for ignition and starter. Too make sure you are getting enough juice to the plugs. Even hooking up a jump battery. Bad plugs, not firing under compression? I'll have to give this some thought. Gas, Air and Spark and valves working with correct timing it's gotta do something.
Mooseman

Erae

Postby Erae » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Mooseman wrote:With 30 years experience, you are right. A real head scratcher. Has to be something simple or bizzar. I think next I might try disconnecting all fuses except for ignition and starter. Too make sure you are getting enough juice to the plugs. Even hooking up a jump battery. Bad plugs, not firing under compression? I'll have to give this some thought. Gas, Air and Spark and valves working with correct timing it's gotta do something.

When I was cranking it I was using a fully charged Auto battery and have tried new plugs.I have another 84 Aspencade with 52000 k/M on it it runs like new and I have been trying swapping parts from it to eliminate things like carbs,spark control unit,fuel pump and any other suspect components Thinking that even though the ign coils passed all the tests I may swap them along with the wires and plugs from the running bike I would also swap pulse generators if they could be removed without pulling the engines.Thanks Mooseman appreciate your input

wing86new1
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade sei
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 pm

just a thought check that your camshafts or crankshaft is not twisted, I have seen this on hydro-locked motors before, will give you "ok" compression but will never really fire up

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Another test....Check each carb vacuum at full closed throttle,back of the idle screw...each one should pull a vacuum....

You mentioned that the plugs never get wet
To draw fuel into a cylinder,the cylinder must create a vacuum in the intake manifold..
If there is compression,it's drawing air in....
HOWEVER...
It may not be coming in through the carb body.....Any vacuum leak is a bad thing...even consider the "O" rings that should be replaced..the ones on the "down tubes"that bolt to the cylinder head...don't forget to tighten the clamps at the carbs either....
There's a host of vacuum lines and one way valves to think about.....well a couple anyways...

Erae

Postby Erae » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Another test....Check each carb vacuum at full closed throttle,back of the idle screw...each one should pull a vacuum....

To draw fuel into a cylinder,the cylinder must create a vacuum in the intake manifold..
HOWEVER...
It may not be coming in through the carb body.....Any vacuum leak is a bad thing...even consider the "O" rings that should be replaced..the ones on the "down tubes"that bolt to the cylinder head...don't forget to tighten the clamps at the carbs either....
There's a host of vacuum lines and one way valves to think about.....well a couple anyways...
Thanks Virgil I will check that out probably won't be until after the new year I will keep you posted my bike is the Canadian model so does not have the California emmisions that makes it somewhat simpiler to check I think

Erae

Postby Erae » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Erae wrote:
virgilmobile wrote:Another test....Check each carb vacuum at full closed throttle,back of the idle screw...each one should pull a vacuum....

HOWEVER...
Thanks Virgil I will check that out probably won't be until after the new year I will keep you posted my bike is the Canadian model so does not have the California emmisions that makes it somewhat simpiler to check I think

Just got back to working on the bike installed original carbs. The bike still will not fire up sounds like it wants to .Checked for vacuum leaks didn't find any. Spark looks good but did discover if I take # 4 plug wire off plug and crank engine a spark jumps from the left coil to ground . When I reconnect the plug wire the coil no longer jumps to ground . The resistance readings of the coils primary and secondary circuits did test good.

Erae

Postby Erae » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:34 pm

wing86new1 wrote:just a thought check that your camshafts or crankshaft is not twisted, I have seen this on hydro-locked motors before, will give you "ok" compression but will never really fire up

I checked position of valves and No 1 piston when crank timing mark No F 1 was lined up in window everything looked OK

Erae

Postby Erae » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:43 am

I found a crack in the left ignition coil case that would cause a spark to jump to ground when # 2 plug wire was removed from spark plug. Replaced both coils still will not run . Checked engine compression again all cylinders were above 140 PSI. Removed valve covers and checked valve movement and timing everything seems good.Checked for exhaust restriction seems OK.Any one have an ideas :?:
I have tried different carberators,fuel pump,New fuel, fuel filter, ignition coils, spark control module there is spark at all cylinders engine will fire but will not run.have gone over firing order and plug wire location,checked pulse generator resistance

Erae

Postby Erae » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Erae wrote:I found a crack in the left ignition coil case that would cause a spark to jump to ground when # 2 plug wire was removed from spark plug. Replaced both coils still will not run . Checked engine compression again all cylinders were above 140 PSI. Removed valve covers and checked valve movement and timing everything seems good.Checked for exhaust restriction seems OK.Any one have an ideas :?:
I have tried different carberators,fuel pump,New fuel, fuel filter, ignition coils, spark control module there is spark at all cylinders engine will fire but will not run.have gone over firing order and plug wire location,checked pulse generator resistance

I found the problem it runs great it was the pulse generator. I was able to remove the pulse generator cover without taking the engine out the bolt holding the rotor on the shaft was loose allowing it to move out of position with the pickups.

Mooseman
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 pm

A big sigh of relief.... :D

Mooseman

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”