Inductive tach hookup

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jtimgrant
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Inductive tach hookup

Postby jtimgrant » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Purchased an inductive tach today to set my pilots. I first hooked the tach to #3 which read the same as the bike tach. But when I hooked the tach to #4 it read exactly half of number three. So I tested #2 and found that both cyl's on the left read exactly half of the the reading on the right side. Or, in other words the two cyl's on the right, 1&3 read 1000 rpms while the two cyl's on the left, 2&4 read 500 rpms. Someone please explain this to me.

Thx

t

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Inductive tach hookup

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:39 pm

This inductive tach.... it clamps around the plug wire...right.??
If you flipped the clamp 180° on the same wire,it probably will read half.

It's magic how the pickup clamp gets It's signal.It's a magnetically induced field.As electric flows one way through a wire,a magnetic field eminates from it....The magnetic lines of force have a direction they move....something like clockwise with the direction of electron flow.
Now remember that the bike is a dual ignition coil... electric travels from the engine through one plug...up through the coil.... through the second plug and back to the engine.

If you switch sides,you also switch the direction that the electrons flow and the meter could read differently.

Test this and let us know If my theory is correct.

jtimgrant
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Inductive tach hookup

Postby jtimgrant » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:53 am

virgilmobile wrote:This inductive tach.... it clamps around the plug wire...right.??
If you flipped the clamp 180° on the same wire,it probably will read half.

It's magic how the pickup clamp gets It's signal.It's a magnetically induced field.As electric flows one way through a wire,a magnetic field eminates from it....The magnetic lines of force have a direction they move....something like clockwise with the direction of electron flow.
Now remember that the bike is a dual ignition coil... electric travels from the engine through one plug...up through the coil.... through the second plug and back to the engine.

If you switch sides,you also switch the direction that the electrons flow and the meter could read differently.

Test this and let us know If my theory is correct.

You are correct Virgilmobile. Opened the box. Looked simple enough - plug and play. Should have read the instructions. :oops: :oops:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”