Still smelling rich

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jtimgrant
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Still smelling rich

Postby jtimgrant » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm baffled . . completely. My 87 smells rich at idle. Runs good at cruise and idle and pulls like a train. 48 mpg at 55/60. But it smells rich at idle and the smell is much worse upon deceleration. Has a new slow air cutoff valve. All plugs look the same being a little gray colored. The carbs have been cleaned multiple times. I decided to reset my pilots today and found that number 4 pilot has almost no effect on the idle - at least nothing close to the effect the other three pilots have. It will drop the idle approx 60 rpms fully closed. I'm assuming the idle circuit is partially blocked again. Could this be causing my rich smell? I've checked all joints for vacuum leaks and have none. If it wasn't for this rich smell the bike would be as perfect running as an old bike could be.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Still smelling rich

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:17 pm

One idle jet has no affect on the RPM.

That's of interest.I can only assume the other 3 cylinders are keeping it running at a idle.
Not the best use of fuel.
I'll bet If you do a cold idle for 5 Seconds and tap the headers,that cylinder isn't firing(dead cold).
If it is then the carbs are not synced well at all and that idle circuit is plugged up.

jtimgrant
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Still smelling rich

Postby jtimgrant » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:06 am

virgilmobile wrote:One idle jet has no affect on the RPM.

That's of interest.I can only assume the other 3 cylinders are keeping it running at a idle.
Not the best use of fuel.
I'll bet If you do a cold idle for 5 Seconds and tap the headers,that cylinder isn't firing(dead cold).
If it is then the carbs are not synced well at all and that idle circuit is plugged up.

Virgil,
I purchased a set of carb sync gauges. All show perfect sync. But I'm not sure they are calibrated and plan to check that asap.

I'll check the headers for heating also and let you know what I find.

thx

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”