Radio and CV Radio inoperable.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phippalisious
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Radio and CV Radio inoperable.

Postby Phippalisious » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:58 pm

I am unable to use my Radio or my CV radio for my 1986 GL120 Aspencade. It seems as though no power is going to either system. I have checked the fuses and they are all good. Can anyone give me some help? I don't really want to get a new radio but if I have to I just might do it so I can have some tuneage.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Radio and CV Radio inoperable.

Postby SilverDave » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:20 pm

The GL1200 radio, and its CB are a complex, multi part radio with connections to the handlebar, to the passenger seat, and to the bass/treble and " speed " switch on top of the CB. As well, Inside that left glove box are several "units" that are also part of the radio , as well as several connections and plugs .
Since its BOTH CB and Radio, I suspect one of these units . There are a bunch of boxes in that space that look like this :

http://img0105.popscreencdn.com/1587830 ... tenna-.jpg

I once had my radio / CB " fail " because just one of those units was old and cranky ...

You either need a radio guy who has a box of old but working and tested units from that glove box area........... or its substitution time from another working Wing system , one unit and plug at a time..until it works ....

Then you will have to start with the wreckers to find a replacement unit .

I have had trouble with my bass/treble switch twice, so thats a good place to start.

If it was just the radio or just the CB, I'd recommend boxing it up, and sending it to Sierra Electronics... but both sounds more like something in the units and plugs .

Have fun !!!

SilverDave

Phippalisious

Postby Phippalisious » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I opened up the left glove box and did not find any of the "Units" that you said were in there. The CB went out well before the radio did. i am just trying to get both into operation.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 pm

You could spend several weekends trying to get both these units running :

see here for a block diagram of all the components for an aspy / SEI :
http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL120 ... erface.gif

I suggest :

A ) finding an identical , working GL1200 , and try swapping parts and components ... Any of the units or any of the connections connections could be "bad "... I'd start with the unit called " power Amp ", and its associated plugs and connectors .....

or .....

B ) Since they went out at different times they are both faulty for possibly different reasons .
I'd send them to Sierra electronics ... they have GL1200 test benches set up, and can diagnose and repair both units faster than you or I ever could ... Money well spent !!
(They also tuned My CB to the commonest channel that our club uses )

http://www.sierra-mc.com/about.htm

SilverDave

Senkoguy1
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A

Postby Senkoguy1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Did you take out the glove box? I have an 86 Aspy and because the radio was corroded and not working, I installed a small amplifier in the left glovebox itself that has a mini plug that goes directly into my MP3 player ( which also has FM). I took the speaker wires from the original amp and hooked them up to my new one. The amp has a gain control that I sometimes use for volume and now I have my favorite digital music or FM radio. Mp3 player is velcroed below the glove box and is instantly removable.

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:31 pm

The radio, intercom, and cb are connected together, but can work, independent of each other.
To make them work, underneath the left pocket, there is an interchanger, which connects all the things together,
an intercom system, and an antenna splitter, that allows the radio and cb to use the same antenna.

There are two fuses inside the pocket as well, one for the clock, and one for the radio.

Check the connections behind the radio these commonly give fault, cleaning them usually helps a lot.

The Cb is pretty complex and usually the only way to fix is to send to sierra. age etc can make the cb problematic,
and I ended up installing a J&M unit.

good luck,

Robbie

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”