Timing belt change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
chaunceymudrat
Motorcycle: 1987 interstate

Timing belt change

Postby chaunceymudrat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Installing new timing belts this coming month. Would like some suggestions what else I should do while I'm in there. I have new belts, water pump, and valve seals. The bike is an 87 interstate, 57,000 miles. Planning on a couple small trips this spring(800 miles or so). Thanks for any suggestions.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Timing belt change

Postby bustedwing » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Is this a bike you just picked up or one you have put a lot of miles on? If it has sat for some time do the carbs need some work? I think if you do the main maintenance issues the bike will treat you well.
Proud member Patriot Guard

chaunceymudrat
Motorcycle: 1987 interstate

Postby chaunceymudrat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:19 am

I've had the bike for about 8 months and 1500 miles. Rebuilt the carbs this fall. New fork seals,plugs and wires also. Just thought I'd kill as many birds as I could while I was in there.

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm

I didn't change the belts on my 77 until a couple of years ago with close to 220,000 miles. I inspected them often and loosened the adjusters to take up any slack. The shop manual called for inspecting them at a top end overhaul which mine has never had. I finally changed them not because of any problem with the belt but I had to take a pulley off to change an oil seal so I put on new belts. I know some Goldwings experienced belt problems in the early 80's and some broke as early as 20k miles. I already had well over 20K that by then and assumed I had good belts and did not want to take a chance with some bad belts that might be in the pipeline. I experienced several bad tach cables around that same time and a dealer told me my tach was freezing up and braking tach cables. I could easily spin the tach with a screwdriver and just went without a cable for a few years. I eventually bought another one and that one is still in there 30 years later, so I do believe there were some bad tach cables in the supply chain. I still wonder if that wasn't the case with belts as I had very good service from the originals. Honda also believed in the service life of those original belts or they would have recommended changing them, not just inspecting at a top end overhaul.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”