floorboards does it have to have a heel toe shifter

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

floorboards does it have to have a heel toe shifter

Postby tprender » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I am thinking about putting a set of floorboards on my '86 Interstate this coming year. Can I put a set on an still use the stock shifter. I had a '81 with the heel toe shifter and I could not get used to shifting with the thing. Took it off after a couple of weeks. I have been riding since '70 with a stock shifter and I guess that it is hard for an old dog to learn something new sometimes.
Also, what is out there that I can get for my '86. I still have the set from the '81, but have been reading that you can't make them work on a 1200.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: floorboards does it have to have a heel toe shifter

Postby rzaugg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Just my opinion, but there is no such thing as "can't" in the world of customization. The only concern is whether you will be happy with the results. The key is to not destroy the existing equipment so that if you are not happy with it, you can always put it back to what it is now. Beyond that "where there is a will, there is a way" Just do us all a favor and make sure it is done with safety in mind. I don't like hearing about accidents.

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 pm

You can do pretty much anything with a cutting torch and welder. I would buy some old used shifters and brake pedals to modify as necessary. As far as the boards themselves, the biggest issue I'm finding is with clearance to the heads. Through some creative engineering, you could probably move them down (or back, which I would not recommend as I think they're too close to me as is.). You will need the ability to custom bend and drill some heavy gauge steel and create your own mounting flanges. If you get them to fit on the bike in a position that is relatively comfortable, pay close attention to the shifter clearance. You will probably have to either (a) modify/ adjust the shifter, or (b) make sure your floorboard mount gives you room to get the toe of your boot under it. This is why I have not replaced my pegs thus far. I have pegs on the case protectors for highway and the stock pegs work just fine for my needs.

downhomr
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition

Postby downhomr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Hello there...I have an '85 limited Edition with Makland Lo Boy floorboards.
They sit approx 2 inches below other boards, and more forward, which means the
stock shifter stays put.
The other cool thing about these boards, is that you can slide your feet under, and your shins
up against the rear of the engine, which is extra nice on cooling riding days.
Might be worth it, to do an eBay search for them.
Good luck.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the help, now if I can find of a set of these Markland boards. The reason that I want the floorboards is that I took a trip last fall, 1000 miles in 3 days. The only thing that got sore was the arches of my feet from the pegs. That is why I am thinking of the foolrboards.

Iaustin
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

Postby Iaustin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 pm

not sure of the make,but i have a set of floorboards with stock shifter on my 86,great on colder days but i use hiway boards on the road. not much toe clearance but my cowboy boots work nice

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 pm

Regarding your sore feet with the stock pegs: Hopefully you are/were wearing good riding boots with sturdy soles. If not, then that might be at least part of the problem. Another thing to look into would be checking into possibly mounting a set of stock pegs from a 1500. They have a wider, flatter foot surface than on the earlier models... Just sayin'...

Ron in AZ

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”