charging question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
vanavery
Motorcycle: 2003 Gl1800

1987 Venture Royale
2003 Burgman AN 400

charging question

Postby vanavery » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm referbing an 86 gl1200 SEi. PO stripped it around 1997 to paint and then lost intrest. I have it running pretty well but I'm still chasing a voltage drain somewhere approx 0.4 MA (not .04 MA), will drain battery overnight.
Looks like PO had replaced stator and R/R and did some rewiring grounds and power are directly to the battery with its own fuse on the positive side.
Main question when the battery is charged up the system charges correctly around 13.5 to 14.5 volts. When the battery is down and I use a jump start to get running the system seems to not charge, around 11 volt +/- and slowly decays. And without the jump start connected it may die if battery is really dead. After charging up the battery, the bike starts and charges correctly.
Is the low voltage in the system ( around 11 volts or less when battery is not charged) not sending enough voltage to the Regulator/ Rectrifer in the black with white tracer wire ( power to activate the charging system) to make it charge?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: charging question

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:33 pm

No.If the regulator sees 11 volts on the black wire,it. Allows the regulator to Max out.
This is a shunt( shorting) regulator.When it sees the 14.4 volts on the black wire,it actually shorts one diode or yellow wire to ground to reduce the output.

Your 400 miliamp drain is way too much.Get your ampmeter in the ground side of the battery and start unplugging stuff till it goes away.
Include the regulator too.

vanavery

1987 Venture Royale
2003 Burgman AN 400

Postby vanavery » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry for being so long winded on this ....
Made it home last night and the battery was still up and the charging system worked fine when I started the bike. Again this morning same thing started the bike and voltage went as high as 14.6 V at the highest and then dropped to about 14.4 volts when it dropped to idle. Took for a short ride and the voltage dropped off to around 11.4 V. Came back did some other things and started up the bike it charged correctly and I took about a 10 mile ride and it charged fine, later I started the bike several times after that and it seems to be charging correctly. Maybe she just needs to run some to clean out the cob webs. If she continues to drop off the voltage I’ll have to bit the bullet and buy a new R/R.

As for the short I have been disconnecting things with the amp meter from the neg lead to the neg battery terminal and have not found it yet. I do see a small spark and hear it when I connect the battery lead to the negative terminal. A mechanic friend tells me that is the electronics firing up and then it drops off. I have pulled the two main fuses and found the drain off the red and red with white tracer off the starter solenoid.
As i mentioned in the original note the PO has rewired the R/R directly to the battery on both the red leads and the green ground leads and hard soldered the three yellow leads. I've since cut these wires in trying to find the voltage leak and additional testing.
The OLD red wires and the green wires and the black w / white tracer still goes through the original connector to the R/R and these red and green wires go into a 2 x4 black box mounted directly behind the triple tree . The two red wires and one green wire leaving the box dead end. The red wires both show 12 Volt and the Green show ground. As I look at the different diagrams this box looks like the filter shown on the regular 1986 Aspencade between the stator and the original R/R.

It is beginning to look like I have a blend between an 86 Aspencade and an SEi model.

The Clymer manual I bought shows the red lead also going to a inline 7.5 Amp fuse going to the radio and the trunk light that I have not found yet. I did find a 3.5 amp fuse in the left faring pocket has two red wires one with white tube, cannot find it in the diagrams) .
After messing with the wiring in the left pocket the draw was down at the .04 MA level . Maybe something I did moving wires inside the right faring?
Question? Are the wiring diagrams in the Cylmers for the SEi correct.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:37 pm

I guarantee nothing when it comes to schematics.I usually use them like a road map and expect surprises..The drop in draw may be related to a memory circuit in a leftover piece over electronics,eg..radio, CB or such.
Your voltage drop to 11 volts is not normal.It is not related to the black wire on the regulator unless it's going to zero volts.
Suspect first any mechanical connection for corrosion at the regulator plug.From there it can be the regulator or stator.
The way to tell is a AC voltage measurement on the 3phases of the stator wires(3 yellow wires) when it is charging and then when the volts drop.
This is assuming that you are actually measuring the DC volts at the battery,not the harness.

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Was there not a 7 amp fuse also under the left faring pocket? That's where it is on my aspy. Also, 11v out of the R/R is typical at an idle when the battery is charged. Again, AT IDLE. That number should go up as revs increase. These older birds are quirky like that. If you scour this site, you'll find a myriad of post about this very subject. It was very helpful as I was tracing my charging issues.

vanavery

1987 Venture Royale
2003 Burgman AN 400

Postby vanavery » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Haven't worked on the bike for several day now. Got PO'ed when it refused to start. Hope to get back at it in a few days. Catching up on other honey dos around here.
Took the battery back out of that bike and put it back in my '86 Venture Royale and it held charge fine a couple days, so I know its not the battery. I did not find any other fuses in the left faring yet, but next time I work on the bike I will check again. The three connectors into the left faring have not been disconnected yet in my testing. The next time I work on it I will try disconnect these and see if the voltage loss drops.
The charging is inconsistant. One time its fine next time in may or may not charge.

vanavery

1987 Venture Royale
2003 Burgman AN 400

Postby vanavery » Thu May 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Finally had some time to work on the bike again. When I cut the ground wires from the R/R the problem went away.
Hooked up an old R/R out of an old venture and the problems have gone away. Battery is holding charge for several days and when started the voltage runs around 13.5 to 14 Volts. Thanks virgilmobile for the heads up.
Still have other things to sort out on the bike, Oil leaks, body part locations and fit, shcoks etc. But at least she lives.
Never did find a 7 amp fuse in the left pocket.
Thanks

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”