Good advice while the engine is out of the frame

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Damgaard
Motorcycle: GL 1200 Aspencade 1985

Good advice while the engine is out of the frame

Postby Damgaard » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:49 am

While the engine (98.000 miles) is still out of the frame i will repair these things:

Change timing belts and tensioners.
Repair starter clutch, new pins and springs
Renovate clutch slave cylinder
Starter motor overhaul
Renew gaskets and engine paintjob

Now 2 Things worry me.
Must i change the alternator ? I have not meassured charging voltage before stripping the bike. I have meassured the resistance of the stator coil 3 yellow wires. About 2 ohm between the wires and open no connection each yellow wire to ground.

Clutch service time ? Well since i have to open the rear engine case... would you advice me to change the clutch plates ?

Greetings from Denmark
Attachments

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Re: Good advice while the engine is out of the frame

Postby triwing » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:34 pm

No resistance between 3 yellow wires is proper reading so it looks like a new stator is in order.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:18 pm

I would change out the drive shaft seal and shifter seal. Plus any gaskets that maybe seeping. Replacing the stator with a good aftermarket one is not a bad idea with the year and mileage while the engine is out. But it may still have a lot of life if it had the wiring changes early,(soldered connections). Clutch may last for a very long time and if not abused may last the life of the motor. If you weren't having issues leave it alone.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Iaustin
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

Postby Iaustin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 pm

just had my stator replaced,left me dead on the last trip of the year,the changes to the plug in had been done already my bike has 100,000 on it 86 1200 inerstate

triwing

Postby triwing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 am

stator is in a hot almost dry atmosphere, splashed oil is all cooling there is ,it cranks out a lot of electricity almost 6 volts per wire,=18volts AC.Then convert to 12 volts DC causes a lot of heat.A new one will cook as well eventually,so get a good after market with heavy wires & solder 3 wires,is the best I can do.I went to the bother of getting solid brass connectors,& locking plastic conectors looked just like factory.They MELTED just like factory ones did.So i went back to solder joints.Long rides,must be the major cause,because both of my 1200's plugs,looked dusty,little bit dirty,but in great condition.They were packed with silicone grease,& forgotten,for a while,ridden 500 mile days often.During some routine maintence saw plug was melted together.Went to other bike,same s---! So cut out pricey brass &locking conectors, & soldered the wires together.As for clutch,new fibers are always nice,I would trash damper plate,two steel plates are required to do this.Go to NGW club site for pictures,& written directions on trashing the damper plate.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:13 pm

triwing wrote:stator is in a hot almost dry atmosphere, splashed oil is all cooling there is ,it cranks out a lot of electricity almost 6 volts per wire,=18volts AC.Then convert to 12 volts DC causes a lot of heat.A new one will cook as well eventually,so get a good after market with heavy wires & solder 3 wires,is the best I can do.I went to the bother of getting solid brass connectors,& locking plastic conectors looked just like factory.They MELTED just like factory ones did.So i went back to solder joints.Long rides,must be the major cause,because both of my 1200's plugs,looked dusty,little bit dirty,but in great condition.They were packed with silicone grease,& forgotten,for a while,ridden 500 mile days often.During some routine maintence saw plug was melted together.Went to other bike,same s---! So cut out pricey brass &locking conectors, & soldered the wires together.As for clutch,new fibers are always nice,I would trash damper plate,two steel plates are required to do this.Go to NGW club site for pictures,& written directions on trashing the damper plate.

You're right about all except for a couple things - it's 48VAC between each wire pair, but it's three phase, so you can't really break that down to 16v per wire, because each wire is carrying part of a phase. In any case, it's the amperage drawn that causes overheating and failure, not the voltage - you could have a stator generating 10,000 volts with hair-thin wire, and it would work for years generating next to no heat as long as you didn't draw much amperage from it.

triwing

Postby triwing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Thought remembering it was really over kill on output, but memory don't always work @ 100%.Your right about amperage,one half of one amp will kill you! But stator needs replaced if memory isn't comply fried.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”