Mirror replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SidAbma
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing LE

Mirror replacement

Postby SidAbma » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 pm

My mirrors need to be replaced. I found on Wing Stuff replacement mirrors for under $50.00 ea
Went to my bike to figure out how to get to the screws that hold them in place.
Do I have to remove the speaker cover grills, and the speakers?
These old mirrors forever needed readjusting, as they kept tipping down. When I replace these mirrors, is there a way to tighten them up so they stay in place?

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Re: Mirror replacement

Postby tprender » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:36 pm

On an '85 all that you have to do is pull back the rubber around the mirros. Under the rubber there are 2 10mm bolts that hold the mirrors on to the fairing. Very easy to change.

SidAbma

Postby SidAbma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:52 pm

That sounds too simple. My mirror boots are all dried up and cracked. I didn't want to touch them much for fear of making them look worse yet.

Thank you

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 am

SidAbma wrote:That sounds too simple. My mirror boots are all dried up and cracked. I didn't want to touch them much for fear of making them look worse yet.

Thank you

Well, if you want to remove the mirrors that's how it's done, you can replace the boots. The design on the 1200 mirrors is not good. Too much weight for that little ball joint. I peeled back the boot and placed a few drops of Lock Tight on the ball and worked the mirror around to spread the liquid. That would help it hold it's position for about 6 months. Someone else may have a better solution for you.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:44 pm

If all that is wrong, is the mirrors don't move or move to much. When the mirrors are off, there is a nut on the back of the ball. Give it a little turn in and it will hold better. But, before you take the mirrors off, set them to the correct position and then tighten the nut down real good. If you tighten it to much, you might not be able to move the ball/mirrows when they are put back on. Very easy to happen.
You can find the rubber on ebay, but some people want just about the price for the rubber as they do for the mirror. Ask around on all of the sites if someone has some broken mirrors with the rubber good.

SidAbma

Postby SidAbma » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 am

Thank you All
I love learning something new every day.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Aftermarket GL1200 mirrors can be a pain ..
The more expensive OEM mirrors will stay put forever ... But not the aftermarket : They always "droop"....
which is beyond annoying when you are driving on a busy street .

I tried all sorts of tricks on mine .... none of which worked for more than a month :
Tightening the bolt until I was afraid it would snap, Superglue, High friction sealer in the ball joint ...
a few grains of sand in the ball joint ... they all slipped after a few weeks ...

The FINAL solution came from a GL1200 owner , on another site , about 7 years ago :

Remove the rubber boot , to expose the ball joint , and adjust the mirror roughly where you want it .. Drive around a bit , to be sure thats where you want it ..
Now drill a 1/4 inch hole in the outer part, and an 1/8 inch hole in the inner ball part , (continuing from the outer hole ) ... carefully tighten a small #6 half inch screw into the inner hole .

Because of the slight difference in hole sizes ... you have a degree or two of " wiggle" room to adjust your mirror, before tightening the screw right down..

Drive around again .. If its totally wrong , drill another pair of holes in a different spot .
Replace rubber boots when totally satisfied.

Mine has stayed in place for about 40,000 km .
It will, of course, be totally wrong for a second owner ....

OR .....
LOL.....
Go buy an OEM set of mirrors .

SilverDave

SidAbma

Postby SidAbma » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Silver Dave. How is Langley, BC? We are just in the process of closing the sale of our property at 220th - 40th ave.
Wing Stuff has mirrors that look OEM, but what are the chances. My mirror boots are completely weathered and all cracked up.
I may have to do your suggestion on the new mirrors if that is the case.
Thanks for the idea.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”