Rear brake problem could use some info

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
legacymps
Motorcycle: business

Rear brake problem could use some info

Postby legacymps » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi i have a friend of mine gl1200 Interstate 1985 trying to help bleed his brakes we replaced right front and rear caliper seals cleaned pistons, rebuilt master cylinder aswell, we bleed right front brake by pushing fluid in reverse with a magura bleeder and we even tried vacuum sucker to front then rear brake caliper, master cylinder we also flushed out air out of master cylinder by cracking front line first then rear line and then re bleed system again just to make sure all air is out we can pump master cylinder up nice and hard then wait not even 5-10 seconds and it goes all the way to the floor when we reapply pressure im stumped anyone ever run into this im not just a garage tech im actually a certified tech who does this for a living but goldwings i really dont touch much but this here is a new one for me im actually stumped. i did as far on front to remove caliper place a piece of metal between pads and raised in the air about handle bars to make sure air came out. any ideas anyone

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Rear brake problem could use some info

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Sometimes tying the brake pedal down and leaving it that way overnight works, as long as all the fittings are good n tight. (not leaking).

legacymps
Motorcycle: business

Postby legacymps » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Gonna try that and see what happens oh i also replaced the bleed screws and check to make sure they were not bleeding out by using a clear hose and held it up to see fluid, and to be honest i think there is air trapped somewhere in the line but ive literally ran 3 small dot 4 bottles through the system by pumping, vacuuming, reverse pushing in fluid thanks for any help even a out of ordinary reply would help whats worst is i know its probably something dumb and easy.

HondaWalt
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
1980 CB 900C
1974 CB 550

Postby HondaWalt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:02 am

I have a 1980, 1100 goldwing that I totally desmantled/rebuilt. I ran into the same back brake bleeding issue and the only way I resolved it was to attach soft clear tubing to the 2 bleeders and "T" them together and run the return back to the master cylinder res. With this arrangement I was able to continuosly pump/bleed and recycle the brake fluid through the system and watch the air bubbles flow out and back to the res. Hope this helps!

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Just a guess, but if you had the whole system empty, the air is probably in the Master Cylinder itself, and above the lines. Don't know if you can take it loose and level it out to get that air out or not. Haven't had to try that yet. Might have to take it off and bench-bleed it. Which, in my mind, would make me glad I am helping a friend because it would take at least four hands to get it back on without getting air back into it.

Good Luck

Rick

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:52 pm

I agree with Dusty except for tying down the pedal (I don't understand that)...BUT, gravity does work.

Somehow shutting off the flow with the pedal tied down would create an issue with a gravity bleed/ or not

This will be a good one since we have a tech in the first place, with the issue of having done all the footwork for all the standard bleeding techniques already done and there's still a problem.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I have found in the past that the banjo bolts can harbor air in them . Bleed them just like a bleeder loosen bolt depress pedal let fluid out and tighten before releasing pedal, another trick is to just loosen bolt or bleeders and keep pouring fluid into master cylinder letting gravity do its trick. good luck

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”