San Antonio, Texas needs help

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ironhead1970
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Interstate

San Antonio, Texas needs help

Postby ironhead1970 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 am

1985 Interstate I want to replace the radio mine is not working @ all & found I only had 1 speaker on left side but no speaker wires anywhere and under the left glove box found 2 fuses & a mess of wires & what looks like a connection for a CB & I think a connection for the antennae but no antennae and one other connection to something. I can't see how to get from there to the back of the radio? I know I pull the radio out with the key in the clock and that is dead to. can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction before I start messing with the wires and really sc&$w something up. I have the Clymer manual for my bike but the wiring diagrams are useless as???? well you know : Next week my new tires come in & I'll be able to get it on the road for the first time in 6 months.

Thanks
Bob M.
Texas
Attachments

Ironhead

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: San Antonio, Texas needs help

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Well from your pics I dont even see your antenna on the back of the bike. You could try down loading the radio wiring off of this site or go to cyclemax as they too have manuals. You can only get to the back of the radio box by taking the fairing off (not an easy chore) I would see if you can find out why you dont have any power to your radio and clock.Check all your fuses and of course those two under the left pocket.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Re: San Antonio, Texas needs help

Postby raycw » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:52 am

I can't tell you where the speaker wires are.... you'll just have to hunt them down and re-route them. But maybe there's something easy about the radio. Honda used to have a
service bulletin about 'power outage when going over bumps'. If you remove the radio and look down inside the housing (the one in the fairing) and see the brass colored connectors.
They are a semi-loop connector that can lose it's spring during contact with the radio connector tabs. I used a 'scribe' with a 90º bend. Hook the short bent end of the scribe into the tab
and bent it slightly. Just enough to improve the connection when you slip in the radio. It might help.....wish I could guarantee it..... but I can't.

Ray

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”