Timing belts on GL 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Oldflyer
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Timing belts on GL 1200

Postby Oldflyer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:18 pm

I am new to this website. I have just purchased a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade with 27K miles on it. I don't even have it home yet. Will be riding it home later this week when the weather is a bit decent (50 miles). Nowhere have I seen any time limit or mileage limit on the timing belts. It seems to me that the belts should probably be changed on a 30 year old bike. I would like your opinion.

Oldflyer :D

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Re: Timing belts on GL 1200

Postby bjatwood » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 pm

If your not sure when the belts were replaced, replace them! For the piece of mind that comes with doing it.
Take a read here, and before I forget. Welcome to the site =)
http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/FAQ13.html

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 am

Thanks for your reply to my question. I will be changing the belts right away. No sense in tempting fate by running with the old belts. I am a fairly competent "wrench" so will do the job myself. I see that Sabre Cycle offers a wrench that allows changing of the belts without removing the radiator. That could save some time and mess.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 am

Beware saber cycle. There are thousands of horror stories regarding saber cycle. After market parts that don't work, don't fit and you are stuck with them because they never make mistakes and they don't do returns or refunds. Go to NAPA or Amazon to buy your belts. They are made by Gates. Same as OEM. Don't be fooled by that picture on their site. They show a Honda OEM belt along side their belt to make you think they sell original. Very deceptive.
As for the wrench you can us a ratcheting box end which you probably already have.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 am

dingdong wrote:Beware saber cycle. There are thousands of horror stories regarding saber cycle. After market parts that don't work, don't fit and you are stuck with them because they never make mistakes and they don't do returns or refunds. Go to NAPA or Amazon to buy your belts. They are made by Gates. Same as OEM. Don't be fooled by that picture on their site. They show a Honda OEM belt along side their belt to make you think they sell original. Very deceptive.
As for the wrench you can us a ratcheting box end which you probably already have.

Right. Read through all the user comments on the Saber Cycle Vendor Record and you'll never want to go near them.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am

When to change GL1200 belts ?
You really only need to do it for "peace of mind "

On my machine, at 150,000 , I have changed the belts three times ... and every time , I checked each inch of the old belts , which looked exactly like the new belts ... absolutely no sign of wear , or abrasion ... :(

But you drive on , feeling MUCH safer , as the 1200 is an interference fit engine so one broken belt means a valve and a piston will have an intimate encounter .

Modern Timing belts are incredibly tough !!

However Instead of the $100 or more Honda belts , try the Gates T070 or Napa 250070.
They are EXACTLY the same belt , and are around $30 or less .( The Honda OEM actually says T070 on it )

oh ... and I second the above ... stay FAR away from Saber cycles

and welcome to the forum !

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 pm

SilverDave wrote: On my machine, at 150,000 , I have changed the belts three times ... and every time , I checked each inch of the old belts , which looked exactly like the new belts ... absolutely no sign of wear , or abrasion ... :(

Timing belts do not slip like serpentine drive belts, which start to crack as they stretch and age. Timing belts, with their special fibers inside, don't stretch, so they don't crack - so a timing belt that is 20 years old with 80,000 miles on it can look virtually identical to one that was put on six months ago and has 500 miles on it. Honda's service schedule says to "inspect" the timing belt - but there is no practicable way of doing this, other than looking for broken teeth on the belt itself. A timing belt wears on the inside, where you can't see it. A timing belt that is about to break can look exactly like one that will run for another 50,000 miles.

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks to all who have answered my question and commented on the changing of the belts. You can rest assured that your valued information and suggestions will be heeded. I will stay away from Sabre at all costs! Forewarned is forearmed!

As it stands at this moment, I will be going to pick up the newly acquired bike on Thursday. Weather and roads promise to be good by that time and the temp should be in the low 60's that day. I have only 50 miles to ride it home. My Harley is keeping a parking spot in my garage, right next to it, clean and warm for the new arrival. If I get it home in time, I think I will drain the oil while it is still hot, and install the new oil and filter.

I have a good relationship with a local NAPA store and so will order the new belts from them.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Oldflier (Bill)

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 pm

You will find riding in the colder weather is no problem on a goldwing. I will ride mine in the 50's all day and have be out in the mid 40's with thermal long johns, leather jacket and gloves. I would never ride my naked bike in that weather. The goldwing has extended my riding season to almost all year.

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:02 am

To "Golden Highway"

That is good news to hear. I have had a 50 degree cut-off temp when riding the Low Rider and I prefer 60 or warmer. I know that I will enjoy the heat from the Goldwing and the protection from the wind. As with the other bikes that I have owned over the years, there is much to be learned about this new addition.

Oldflier

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 am

As of 4-19-14 I have the bike all back together and running. I rode it about 50 miles yesterday and all is well. I put new timing belts on it and pulled the engine front cover and replaced the water pump. The seller had told me that he had put a new pump in it, but I didn't believe him. When I got inside the front cover, I found that the pump was a new one, but leaking. Because he or someone else did not want me to discover the leaking pump, he plugged the drain hole in the bottom of the case with epoxy. That didn't work because it leaked anyway. What really escapes my wildest imagination is that whomever installed that new pump did not clean the front cover. The outside of it was full of road grime, grease, oil, you name it. I can't imagine anyone going through the trouble of doing that work and not cleaning the parts and pieces. Even the bolts were filthy. Not anymore!

While I had the timing belt covers off, I stripped the clear coating that Honda had put on them originally, then re-buffed the covers. They look really nice now and no more clear coating! I will hand polish when needed.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”