out riding and then nothing!!!!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bigmac7139
Motorcycle: 1993 kaw voyager,95 kaw ninja zx9,and others

out riding and then nothing!!!!

Postby bigmac7139 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

so a buddy of mine has a 85 aspencade and had to jump it to start it, he let it run for a bit, about an hour or so. he took it out for about another and on his way home the bike died on him. he tried to start it and nothing. no crank, no dash lights. just dead as a door nail. when he turns the key to the off postion the clock comes back and starts to show time again, but once the key is turned on to the acc or start position nada. so a little back ground on it. a couple years ago we did a poor boy kit on it. we used a voltmeter/ohms meter and began testing. checked all the fuses, battery has power, i have power all the way to and through the back side of the connector going to the ignition switch.

so heres my question. when i am testing the power anywhere i have the same on every side of a connection point up till i turn the key. once i turn the key, thats when the clock goes away and the readings on the red power wire to the igniton switch drops to about 1.8/1.9 volts, no lights on the dash, no indicators, nada. i am thinking that its the ignition switch, but before trying to strip it out and try to find a replacement, i am wondering if there is any tests i could try to make sure its actually the switch? it has the lcd dash, we get nothing up front except the clock when off,have verified all fuses including the ones place in the kit for the alt conversion. i have not tried the key in the park position yet to see if the lights come on. but being everything i can find, the only thing i cant find is how to actually if any, test the switch to make sure its the issue. i understand pulling and testing continuity between the plug and the back of the switch, just want to make sure i am not wasting my time or overlooking something that could be easy.
fuses checked have been the on next to the battery,all the fuses in the block onto of the air filter, the 7.5 fuse and other fuse under left panel in pocket, about the only fuse i have not checked is the 3 am fuse to the clock, but being it flashes until i turn the key, and returns once the key is turned back to off, im taking it to be good.
any help would be greatly appreciated. mike in kansas city

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: out riding and then nothing!!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 pm

You've got two problems. The first problem is that you have a battery that is near dead. When there is next to no load on it, it puts out enough current and voltage to keep the clock running. As soon as you turn the ignition on, the load pulls the voltage down to near nothing. You can try recharging the battery, but if it's that dead, chances are it's not going to be able to be revived.

The second problem is how the battery got that dead in the first place while the bike was being ridden. Chances are you've got a stator problem. Do a search here for "three yellow wires" and you'll find tons of posts on this. Here's a simple one for the same year: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9186

bigmac7139
Motorcycle: 1993 kaw voyager,95 kaw ninja zx9,and others

Postby bigmac7139 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 pm

he stated that he was out riding when it died, i came over a couple days later and the battery had just under 12v. i believe it was 11.8v, as for how it go that way, it was because it had sat most of the last couple months without the battery tender plugged in, as for the charging, it has the alternator kit on it and has not had any issues before sitting for the winter season. it was installed back in 2011, he replaced the battery last year in march, but like i said it sat for a couple months without the tender going. my issue is with the load on there i would think i would at least get something on the lcd display. but i don't get any lights when turning on the key.the clock is separate from the stereo and the dash. yet according to the wiring diagram they all get the power front he main solid red wire coming from the battery. i will say i didn't try to jump it again being it had some voltage left in it. was afraid if him jumping it to get it fired up may have shorted something out. but i may go ahead and try it tomorrow and see if it brings the dash lights back on. thanks for the reply

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 am

bigmac7139 wrote:he stated that he was out riding when it died, i came over a couple days later and the battery had just under 12v. i believe it was 11.8v, as for how it go that way, it was because it had sat most of the last couple months without the battery tender plugged in, as for the charging, it has the alternator kit on it and has not had any issues before sitting for the winter season. it was installed back in 2011, he replaced the battery last year in march, but like i said it sat for a couple months without the tender going. my issue is with the load on there i would think i would at least get something on the lcd display. but i don't get any lights when turning on the key.the clock is separate from the stereo and the dash. yet according to the wiring diagram they all get the power front he main solid red wire coming from the battery. i will say i didn't try to jump it again being it had some voltage left in it. was afraid if him jumping it to get it fired up may have shorted something out. but i may go ahead and try it tomorrow and see if it brings the dash lights back on. thanks for the reply

I would check the battery voltage under load. A battery can very easily show 12 volts at rest, but when any kind of load is applied, it will drop to a very low voltage. This is an indication of one or more dead cells inside the battery.

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 am

WingAdmin wrote:
bigmac7139 wrote:he stated that he was out riding when it died, i came over a couple days later and the battery had just under 12v. i believe it was 11.8v, as for how it go that way, it was because it had sat most of the last couple months without the battery tender plugged in, as for the charging, it has the alternator kit on it and has not had any issues before sitting for the winter season. it was installed back in 2011, he replaced the battery last year in march, but like i said it sat for a couple months without the tender going. my issue is with the load on there i would think i would at least get something on the lcd display. but i don't get any lights when turning on the key.the clock is separate from the stereo and the dash. yet according to the wiring diagram they all get the power front he main solid red wire coming from the battery. i will say i didn't try to jump it again being it had some voltage left in it. was afraid if him jumping it to get it fired up may have shorted something out. but i may go ahead and try it tomorrow and see if it brings the dash lights back on. thanks for the reply

I would check the battery voltage under load. A battery can very easily show 12 volts at rest, but when any kind of load is applied, it will drop to a very low voltage. This is an indication of one or more dead cells inside the battery.

+1

If he didn't have it on a tender as you said he will need to get a full charge on it with a regular battery charger, not a tender or the alternator now that it has been let go and not kept on a tender for that length of time. Then a load test will have to be preformed. Auto parts stores will do the charge and load test free.
Batteries can get an internal short and exhibit these results you have given. If he has to get another battery, get an AGM battery. Much better life than the old school wet cell that have to be filled and the is no vent tube.

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”