New owner of an old 'Wing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fixeverything
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

New owner of an old 'Wing

Postby fixeverything » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Just brought home an '86 Interstate. Not my first bike, my first shaft drive bike, or even my first Honda, so I'm familiar with the maintenance I'm going to need to do.

First on the list is new plugs, wires, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, coolant flush, and dif fluid. I was lucky to get the bike with an almost new rear tire, so at least I don't have to play tetris anytime soon. I'm a mechanic by trade, but I deal mostly with cars and small engine (mowers, blowers, etc). Bikes are still fairly new to me.

Previous owner said the stator was replaced 4 years ago, new battery last spring, and he parked it after it stopped charging sometime last year. I'm going to get it running again and start testing everything, see if its the stator, regulator, or something else. Odds are I'm going to end up with an alternator conversion. Which brings me to my first question.

Has anyone considered using the GL1500 alternator for the conversion? I was looking and found them in a few amperage sizes, including 60 and 90 amp. They're pretty small, not really any different in price than a car alt, and I don't see why a V-belt pulley couldn't be put in place of the rotor.

Next up, I've been looking over the bike, seeing what all I'm going to update or change. Already planning on swapping out for all the rear lighting possible (trunk lights), and will convert the whole bike over to LED. I have a question about the front lighting on the bike.

Do the clear housings on each side of the headlight light up? I found a light on eBay, and it looks like the outers are supposed to be city lights?

Among all my other maintenance and modding, I plan to rebuild the forks with Progressive springs, and am liking what they have for rear shock options as well.

That's pretty much it for now. I'm looking forward to cleaning this bike up, and making it a solid daily rider!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: New owner of an old 'Wing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:04 am

Congrats on the new Wing and welcome to the forum.
The lights beside the headlight should lightup.Pretty sure they're just an amber peanut bulb(160 or a 194)
As far as usung a 1500 alt I would say no because of the way it is driven.The 1500 alt had 4 vains at 90* that drive it and no way to adapt a pulley.I think most use a Goe Metro alt for the conversion because of the size.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

fixeverything

Postby fixeverything » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 am

Looks like a safe bet that the problem on the bike is definitely the stator. Ohm'd it out today, had less than 1 ohm between A&B, 12-14ohm between A&C and B&C. Looks like winding C is dying. I was NOT looking forward to that.....

Oh well. Time to sell some stuff and get the conversion kit!

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am

That's too bad.Back when my 84 Int stator went there was no conversion that I had heard of.I pulled the motor and replaced it.Wasn't that bad,but pretty sure I would go with the conversion if I was doing it now.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

fixeverything

Postby fixeverything » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:11 am

Had a gander at an alternator for a Geo while at work today (parts store). Holy crap its tiny compared to most alts I handle. No wonder it's popular! Started taking some stuff apart for cleanup and to check condition. Found that the trunk bar already has all 6 light bulbs in place, and it's wired to be stop/tail all the way across. Should be a nice easy task to convert it to outer signals, then all I need are the amber lenses.

The amber lenses were available on the Aspencades, correct? If so I'll just ebay some lenses instead of doing the full swap kit.

Also found a kit that replaces the sidecase reflectors with light up bars. I'm planning to add a couple lights to the fairing, should go well together when I do the led conversions.

Next up, removing the carbs for cleaning!

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 am

"Get'er Done" and get riding.These bikes work really well(I had an 84 Int and an 85 Aspy)and run for a really long time.The alt coversion is the icing on the cake for the 1200.I used to worry about the stator going out while I was on our yearly trip(happened to a buddy,cost him $1200),but with the coversion it could be repaired pretty cheap just about anywhere.
PS Before you spend to much money on shiny stuff I would suggest you find a better seat for it.The stock 87 seat was supposed to be better than 84-86,but if you can I would get an aftermarket seat(doesn't matter which one)even if it's a used one.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

fixeverything

Postby fixeverything » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 am

I've got a friend who does upholstery, I'm gonna send the seat his way. The seat is prolly the least of the things I'm worried about lol.

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:52 am

fixeverything wrote:I've got a friend who does upholstery, I'm gonna send the seat his way. The seat is prolly the least of the things I'm worried about lol.

For now maybe.You'll see what I'm talking about when you start piling the miles on.If you're going to recover your seat see if he can fit some stiffer foam in it.It will keep you from sinking down onto the seatframe after about 1/2 an hour.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

bllazerhoper
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Aspencade

Postby bllazerhoper » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Let me know if you find a conversion kit for alternator I need onemyself

fixeverything

Postby fixeverything » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 pm

I found the same PoorBoy kit that everyone else has, I'm just not keen on spending 230 shipped for the same 40 dollar pulley that Jeg's sells and some brackets and hardware I can put together for roughly 20 bucks. If that 230 maybe included the belt, wiring, fuse, etc, as in EVERYTHING but the alternator itself, I might be a little more game to pay it. But I have to supply wiring, alternator, belt, I'm not dropping that kind of dough. I'll grab my buddy's welder and make the brackets myself. All they are is a piece of drilled angle iron and 2 pieces of flat stock welded to each other. I can make do with internally threaded couplers instead of the fancy machined spacers.

bllazerhoper
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Aspencade

Postby bllazerhoper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 am

Build me one while your at it lol

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm

When you do the LED conversion on the lights, you will have to add a resistor to the circuit, unless you like to see the "Tail Light" lit up on your dash... Something I have yet to do on mine!! posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=21113#

fixeverything

Postby fixeverything » Sat May 03, 2014 11:05 am

When I do the LED's, it'll be drop in bulbs to start, though I may eventually go for full panels to get maximum brightness out of it. I'm not worried about the TAIL indicator. I used to have a Honda VF750S Sabre with the same thing. I just removed it, bypassed it, and pulled the bulb. I do daily inspections of my bikes when I have them on the road. I don't care if it's my bike, my truck, whatever, I make sure everything works. I don't like giving idiots excuses about why they didnt see me, or allowings cops reason to pull me over for bs.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”