Starts when Cold, Not when Hot

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
DerekMoore
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 A Blue
1984 GL1200 A Beige
1999 Shadow ACE

Starts when Cold, Not when Hot

Postby DerekMoore » Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am

New to Forum, but have read all the Starter info here that I could find, my problem is a little different.
my 84 aspencade starts fine when it's cold, and runs well, does not shut off while driving, when hot or cold.
But, if I stop, ( shut down the engine ) while the bike is hot, it won't restart until it cools down.
The starter makes a "click" but that's all. Everything else on the bike still works, lights, radio, etc.
I have just purchased the bike, and Because of the "stator issue," before I drove it had it checked over in the local bike shop, I asked them to check the charging, breaks, and replace fluids.
I only drove it about 30 miles, stopped for gas, and it would't restart.

The previous owner said he changed the battery in the fall just before he put it away, but had not had any other work done on the bike in the 2.5 years he owned it.

I am prepared to replace the starter, with a rebuilt one, but from what I'm reading, it may not solve the problem.
Somebody here suggested a new wire to the case, but that means nothing to me. I'll need to purchase a book and or get someone else to do the work, but what ever info i can provide will lessen the number of hours I'll have to pay for trouble shooting.

Any and all suggestions would be great.

On another note, is this where i can ask about bulb replacement, or should I start a new post? My owners manuel says to use 12V /cp bulb, the guys in the hardward store want numbers like 1073 or 1074,,, Because of the Stator issues, i was considering replacing the bulbs ( except signal lights cause I need the auto shut off ) with LED's
thanks. Derek

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Re: Starts when Cold, Not when Hot

Postby Right Winger » Fri May 14, 2010 6:49 pm

:D Well it definately sounds like you have a starter problem. When I got my 84 several years ago I had the same delima. I replaced the starter and battery with a AGM type battery no problem since. But before you condem the starter make sure you have the battery checked out good. And check the cables from the starter to the battery. And take a real good look at the ground cable from the frame to the battery, in fact take it off where it bolts to the frame and clean it real good. Get it to where it will run when hot first and then worry about the lights :lol:

DerekMoore
1984 GL1200 A Beige
1999 Shadow ACE

Postby DerekMoore » Fri May 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I'll try the ground cable over the weekend, already picked up dielectric grease for the connector by the battery with the 3 yellow wires, i'll clean that up while i'm at it. never use the dielectric grease before, not sure what to do with it, i'm wondering about puting it in the plug, afraid i won't get any contact, yet, how do i get the dielectric grease in the plug afterwards. don't know what i'm doing but not afraid to try.
Spoke to a local wing rider here today, said he has the same problem after every winter storage and is fine after a few rides. can this be possible? ( same year 1200 as mine )
I have found someone here, that can rebuild the starter for about 100.00 and to purchase a reconditioned one, is about 370.00.
if cleaning the connectors don't work, i guess that my next step. ( my battery was new in Fall of 2009 )

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Sat May 15, 2010 7:34 am

Dielectric grease can simply be packed into the plug. Its designed not to cause a short but keep the connections for corroding. The way the blade connectors work, they should make contact without problems.

If you determine it is the starter, you can purchase a new one for just over $100 at DB Electrical. I just purchased one for my '83 and its working great.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1655-100- ... u0112.aspx

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 am

:D WOW ya can't beat that Good deal . If you need a starter that's the way to go :D

Here's another to look at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-HOND ... 1c128a3626

DerekMoore
1984 GL1200 A Beige
1999 Shadow ACE

Postby DerekMoore » Sat May 15, 2010 8:39 am

Jeeper wrote:Dielectric grease can simply be packed into the plug. Its designed not to cause a short but keep the connections for corroding. The way the blade connectors work, they should make contact without problems.

If you determine it is the starter, you can purchase a new one for just over $100 at DB Electrical. I just purchased one for my '83 and its working great.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1655-100- ... u0112.aspx

From what i can tell, this one fits a 1983, 1985-to 87 but the 1984 had a different starter

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Sat May 15, 2010 8:45 am

Well in the 1200 family I know for a fact that the 84 stands alone. And will not interchange with 85 to 87. And I'm almost positive that it wont interchange with a 1100. If this answers your question

DerekMoore
1984 GL1200 A Beige
1999 Shadow ACE

Postby DerekMoore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Well i finally got sorted, the Dealer in another area helped me out, Took a bit of time but I 'm happy with the service, and the overall cost.
First they replaced the Starter, but the new unit had the same problem. So they replaced the bursheTTs and cleaned it up, While he was at it, he removed the plug with the 3 yellow wires as preventative measure to the know stator issue.
since the bike was in the shop, i had them change the timing belts.
How 2 dealers can be so different I ll never know, but i happy
thanks for your suggestions, and private messages,
Derek

gimpychum
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby gimpychum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 am

Glad you got everything fixed up and you are riding. If that ever happens again a good way to test the starter is to hook a jump box directly to the starter. The long bolts that hold the endcaps on to the starter make an easy clip point for the negative lead on the jump box and guarantee a good ground. Then clip the red to the input bolt in the starter after you disconnect the starter wire. With the bike in neutral and the kill switch off (unless of course u want to start the bike then turn the ignition on also) turn your jump box on and see if the starter cranks. If it doesnt you either have a bad jump box or a bad starter. If it does turn over it is time to look into the grounding issues mentioned or the starter relay etc. Sorry for the late response. Maybe this can help someone else.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”