Oil/grease leaking where final drive goes into engine

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Senkoguy1
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A

Oil/grease leaking where final drive goes into engine

Postby Senkoguy1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 am

Let it be known I don't know everything. Now that that's been established, let me post my problem.
Last August, I changed my rear tire in my driveway on my 86 Aspencade. I also removed the entire shaft for inspection. Everything went smoothly for the most part but I did something I don't think I should have. During reassembly, I coated the entire shaft on the final drive with bearing grease. Not a lot, just a coating. I also used considerable grease on the rear drive spline and gear.
There is a rubber accordion cover where the shaft meets the engine and it has a couple of small rips in it and every time I ride, I have what appears to be overheated grease dripping out of the tear onto my exhaust. It smokes and stinks a lot. It doesn't do it every ride but when it does, it looks like about an ounce has dripped. I can't figure out where the source is and I used the grease sparingly on the engine end of the driveshaft, that I do remember. It definitely isn't oil, just hot grease.
Last September, I took a trip to Washington, put 800 miles on the bike in 3 days with no problem whatsoever.

Any ideas?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Oil/grease leaking where final drive goes into engine

Postby robb » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am

There is an oil seal to block fluid going forward so unless the yoke was also lubed it's coming from transmission.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 am

Excessive "grease" is going to cause you a problem like yours. That's one of the reasons you should always use Moly paste when lubing the drive splines. Moly, if properly applied, won't sling off or drip from heat. Sounds to me like you just have too much applied at the engine side and the engine heat is causing the grease to thin and drip.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Did you use bearing grease on the driveshaft and wheel hub splines? If so, you need to take it apart, clean that off, and replace it with high Moly grease (like the Moly grease Honda makes specifically for this purpose). Regular grease will be quickly squeezed out of the splined surfaces, leaving no lubrication at all. This will cause spline wear, and eventually you'll have to replace the affected components.

Senkoguy1

Postby Senkoguy1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 am

Is Moly readily available or is it a dealer item?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 am

Senkoguy1 wrote:Is Moly readily available or is it a dealer item?

$9.00 from Cyclemax:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/honda_m ... ste/105298

If you need it NOW, Honda dealers will typically sell it for about twice that. You can also get it from Amazon for about $14:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-087 ... ingdocs-20

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 am

I just did my tires. When I took the rear assembly off, the PO or mechanic used yellow axle grease that had some type of fiber in it. There was a lot of it still there but it had hardened up and chunks were like a yellow leather substance. It took an hour to dig that garbage out of the splines, the leathery stuff. It was packed in there real good. Finally got compressed air in there and blew the stuff out. Do not use axle grease in there at all and you don't need to grease the shaft. Just put a little moly on the splines and that's all that's necessary. The wheel splines can only hold so much and when you push the wheel into those splines, the moly will be forced into the voids. Again, excessive grease is not desired, and doesn't make it better. Definitely pull it apart and use the right stuff. It costs more for a reason.

cowboy76
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby cowboy76 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Getting ready to grease my splines when I change my tire. How are you guys applying the grease, dipping a brush in the tube? Or just fingers?

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:07 pm

I used those disposable blue gloves and my fingers. Getting it deep into the splines is simple just use the collar from the rear wheel and shove it in there. Then add more to the collar until it starts to gush out. wipe it off done. Once it's on the splines, any splines, it just spreads itself but doesn't cake of fling.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 pm

wilmo wrote:I used those disposable blue gloves and my fingers. Getting it deep into the splines is simple just use the collar from the rear wheel and shove it in there. Then add more to the collar until it starts to gush out. wipe it off done. Once it's on the splines, any splines, it just spreads itself but doesn't cake of fling.

I used the exact same method.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 pm

I use an acid swab/solder brush.
Makes for a much neater job and you can control the coverage better.

Senkoguy1

Postby Senkoguy1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 am

Well, I did what was suggested. Called around,, apparently mom and pop m/c repair shops don't use moly cause they all told me they don't, lol. Anyway, I found it at my local Honda dealership for $14/3 ounces. Took the rear end apart, found that all the bearing grease I had used initially was all gone and, here's the interesting part: the reason it was able to get up to the dust boot and fling around onto the bike and exhaust was the seal on the drive shaft. Apparently, in the frustration of trying to get it back into the u-joint, a part of the seal was not seated properly and allowed the grease to escape. Bought another seal, put it on, and was experiencing issues with it going back together without pinching so I put a little oil all around it, got it back together, and all my problems are now solved. Thank you folks for the moly info which led to total repair.

George

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Senkoguy1 wrote:Well, I did what was suggested. Called around,, apparently mom and pop m/c repair shops don't use moly cause they all told me they don't, lol. Anyway, I found it at my local Honda dealership for $14/3 ounces. Took the rear end apart, found that all the bearing grease I had used initially was all gone and, here's the interesting part: the reason it was able to get up to the dust boot and fling around onto the bike and exhaust was the seal on the drive shaft. Apparently, in the frustration of trying to get it back into the u-joint, a part of the seal was not seated properly and allowed the grease to escape. Bought another seal, put it on, and was experiencing issues with it going back together without pinching so I put a little oil all around it, got it back together, and all my problems are now solved. Thank you folks for the moly info which led to total repair.

George

Excellent, glad to hear this great news. Go ride! :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”