New Goldwing owner with a few electrical issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
djolesiak
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

New Goldwing owner with a few electrical issues

Postby djolesiak » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Just bought my first Goldwing last week. It's an 86 Aspencade SEi with 46,000 miles on it and runs great. The previous owner just replaced the timing belts, tires, and wind screen. The first couple of rides were great with no problems. But then the digital dash started flickering and the fuel and temp gauges both went to full scale and stopped responding. Also the clock on my trip computer started flashing and everything on it reset.

After shutting it off and starting it back up, everything went back to normal. I've put 1,000 miles on it in the last week and the same thing has happened intermittently. It happens maybe once in 5 starts. I also have to keep resetting the trip computer clock as well.

Also the stereo sometimes will start making a high pitched noise occasionally when I hit a bump. Then it goes back to normal for a while then repeats again. Also the volume seems to change as well when this happens.

Then I have another small issue with the CB radio. It's stuck on channel 9. I can't get it to respond to the channel switch on the handlebar. I've tried pushing the emergency channel 9 button on the radio a few times. It clicks but nothing seems to happen.

My last and final issue is the air suspension. The bike is bottoming out with my wife on the back. I put the bike on the center stand, turned the ignition on and tried pushing the pressure check button on the handlebar. The LCD is only displaying 2 lines for both front and rear pressure. I tried pressing the increase and or decrease button but nothing seems to happen.

I'm the third owner of this Goldwing. The original owner never did any of his own work on it. The second owner had it for 3 years and did all of his own work. He said he changed the timing belts and also worked on an overheating problem the bike had which turned out to be a bad connection at the cooling fan. He changed the thermostat first though as a process of elimination. He also eliminated the fuel shutoff valve which he said was leaking. He just replaced it with a new hose. He said it wasn't needed due to the fuel injection. Otherwise no other repairs have been done to the bike that I know of. I did notice a spare dog bone fuse in the glove box from the previous owner so I guess it must have been an issue in the past.

I'm an industrial HVAC mechanic by trade and plan on doing as much of the work myself as I can or have time for. I also plan to spend a lot of time riding it which is why I bought it. I just want to get these issues taken care of as soon as possible so I can continue to enjoy the beautiful Southern California weather we're having this year.

I made an appointment with our local Goldwing mechanic to go over the bike for me but he's backed up 4 weeks with work. Hopefully I'll be able to resolve some of these issues in the mean time. I did receive a factory and supplemental service manual with it along with the original owners manual including the maintenance log so those should help.

Anyone that has any ideas on any of these issues would be appreciated. I'll post any solutions I find in the mean time.

gyrojunkie
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 aspencade se-i

Re: New Goldwing owner with a few electrical issues

Postby gyrojunkie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:39 am

I am also having the same issues with the same bike, 86 Aspencade SEI. I also find that the 3 Yellow wires from the voltage regulator over heat even after replacing the voltage regulator.

wing86new1
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade sei
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 am

check the connector off the stator to see if that connector is melted, also check the connector up by the regulator to see if that one is melted also, I have a bike like this and I have soldered these connections eliminating the faulty factory connection
hope this helps

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 am

Good to know I'm not the only one with these issues. I've decided to go through the whole electrical system on the bike to clean and inspect every connection. I made a photo copy of the schematic and I'm highlighting each connection as I go. I'm also going to replace all of the relays and the ignition switch just to be thorough. I think oxidation and vibration are the main culprits on this 28 year old bike. I also suspect the ignition switch is behind the intermittent nature of this problem. I had a similar problem on a Dodge truck. After replacing the ignition switch, the problems went away.

The stereo I'm either going to send it in to have it refurbished and an auxiliary port added or I'm going to look into installing a newer more modern stereo. I'm definitely going to add XM and GPS to the bike. I'd also like to have Bluetooth and a usb port.

I also want to replace the stitched leather grips since they are pretty worn out at this point.

I haven't gotten to the air suspension yet. I'll hopefully resolve that while I'm going through the electrical.

I really like the way the Bridgestone Exedra tires handle on this bike. I'm curious to see how long they last. So far I'm really enjoying the Goldwing. Way different than the BMW's I used to ride.

wing86new1
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 am

I have removed all the factory stereo items from my bike wound up finding a usb car stereo that is half sized that fit right into the factory hole (with the help of a hot glue gun to hold the frame in place, not much plastic to latch onto) and replaced the speakers with kicker speakers, very loud and clear compared to the oem setup. good luck

wing86new1
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:05 am

also a side note the owner before me had way too many lights on it and burned out 1 leg of the stator, this did not show up until I got it hot. I just got done pulling the motor, replacing the stator and since I was in there anyway I replaced the clutch plates, motor is back in but have not had time to get the injector pack back in place will get it later this week. I saw that you had a flashing dashboard that is one of the things that mine was doing before I discovered this. did you happen to see what the volt gauge said when all this was happening ?

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am

The volt meter didn't do anything unusual while the dash was flickering. It stayed right around 13.6 which is where it runs most of the time. Fortunately the engine controls seem unaffected by the problem. The thing is each time I shut it off and restart it everything starts working properly again.

I've read about the stators being problematic on the GL1200's. Is engine removal neccesary to replace the stator?

The original owner had put a bunch of running lights on the bike as well. The second owner removed them and gave them to me in a tote when I bought the bike. I don't plan on using them. He also threw in a trailer hitch and some running boards.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am

I read about the half sized car stereos being used. I hear you have to cut down the depth to get them to fit. My concern is maintaining the cb and intercom system. A lot of my friends ride Harleys and use their cb's quite frequently. Is there a way to replace the stereo and maintain the cb?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:37 am

You have too many weird problems for it to be anything but grounding problems...or the Dog bone fuse...
Locate each common frame ground point (there in the book)...unhook each one and clean the corrosion off...This includes the battery cables and where the negative one bolts to the frame....
By all means,tend to the "3 yellow wires" as described....Be certain the bike is charging normal.
12.6 static...up to 14.5 at 3500 RPM.
Replace the original 'Dog bone' fuse with a large blade type automotive fuse and waterproof holder...The original is hidden behind the trap door on the starter solenoid..

Your suspension will not operate till you resolve the digital troubles....The relay for the pump is controlled from the display..

wing86new1
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 pm

unfortunatally you have to pull the motor to change the stator, there is not enough clearance to pull the back cover, I don't know any way to integrate the cb to the new stereo, as i did not need these functions. I agree it may be more grounding than anything and my dogbone fuse is already replaced with a blade type fuse

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 pm

i'll check the yellow wires, ground points, and dog bone next. May be a couple of days before I get to it. Having a job really consumes a lot of my time.

I really want to maintain the cb so I'll probably go down the refurb route on the stereo. Adding the aux port will give me the connection I need for my XM receiver. At the moment I'm using a cassette adapter to connect my ipod. I can live without the USB and blutooth.

I'm going to study the audio wiring to see if there's a way to upgrade the stereo and maintain the cb. I'll post a solution if I find one.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Sun May 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I've been working on these issues and have solved some of them. The problem with the flickering dash was caused by a poor electrical connection at the trip computer where the main plug goes in. The pins were oxidized. I sprayed out the plug and the socket with some contact cleaner, let it dry, and plugged it back in. I haven't had a problem with the dash flickering or the clock resetting since.

The problem with the air suspension was a dirty handlebar switch. I cleaned it out with some contact cleaner as well and the air suspension is working perfectly now.

I also inspected the dog bone fuse on the starter relay and found that it has already been converted to an inline 30 amp blade type fuse. While I was in there I removed the battery cables and cleaned them. I also cleaned the ground cable where it attaches.

I then pulled all the fuses and cleaned them with sand cloth and sprayed out the fuse box with contact cleaner.

The three yellow wires mentioned I haven't found yet. I see the plug on the wiring diagram but haven't actually located it yet on the motorcycle. So I still need to tend to that. I am also still looking for the main ground point. The wiring diagram shows three ground wires coming together to one terminal and going to ground but I'm still looking for it's location to clean and inspect it.

The problem with the radio is still there but seems to be specific to the radio. I plan on upgrading the speakers and having the stereo refurbished by the factory. The problem with the CB is probably in the handlebar switch same as the air suspension. I'm going to pull it and clean it next.

I've put around 2500 miles on it so far in the past month and it's running great. Just did the Ojai run yesterday through Frazier Park. Good Times!!!!

mshruman
Motorcycle: 1986 honda 1200 goldwing aspencade sei

Postby mshruman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I also have an 86 SEI, most of my issues were taken care of by pulling an cleaning all the switches! Replaced rear air shocks and no more bottoming out, only problem left is every other time I turn bike on! Air guage panel readsEEE, turn key off and back on and works fine! My 1 gremlin I guess

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Mon May 05, 2014 12:43 am

I've had the EEE on the display once so far and it did go away on the next start. I think it was because I had the pressures too high. I had the rear up to 110 and the front at 18 to see if it would stop bottoming out which by the way it still bottoms out with my wife on the back. Pretty annoying especially at high speeds.

What did you replace the rear shocks with? I'd like to stop bottoming out as well. I told my wife she needs to loose 30 pounds and that didn't go over so well....

Flameout990
Motorcycle: 2010 KTM 990 ADV R
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa

Postby Flameout990 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Djolesiak do you have a contact number to where you are sending your radio? Thank you, Walt

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Tue May 06, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm thinking about sending it to this company. Unless you know of someone else. These are the guys that put the aux connector in on my buddies GL1500.

Sierra Electronics
2080 Experiment Farm Road
Troy, OH 45373
1-800-338-6938

http://www.sierra-mc.com/radioservice.html

cowboy76
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby cowboy76 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:49 am

Have you tried pulling the rear shocks, draining the old oil, & refilling with fresh atf? Made mine ride like new even with no air in them. Draining is a pita but can be done. I did just read an article, on another site, about using vacuum to refill rear shocks. If they are not leaking it is a much cheaper option.

cowboy76
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby cowboy76 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 am

The plug for stator (3 yellow wires) is just to the left of the battery on a little bracket.

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:23 am

The 3 yellow wires are a common problem and the plug should be cut off and the wires soldered and insulated. I have found a super great product called Caig Deoxit that I use on all my pins and plugs. It cleans and keeps them electrically clean and usually no more poor connection problems, ever again. Contact cleaner works but does not keep corrosion/oxidation from coming back over time. It's a spendy product but a half ounce bottle will last many people a lifetime. I also use it on my computers and many other low voltage devices.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Sun May 11, 2014 4:43 pm

The stereo cutting out when a bump is hit is the contacts on the back of the stereo are losing contact with the mating contacts on the radio housing. Remove the stereo and use a toothpick to bend the contacts slightly and the problem will be fixed. The CB problem is a little more involved as the old CB has grommets on the double sided boards and with age, contact is lost from one side to the other. The way the boards are stacked in the housing it is very common for the CH 9 lockup to occur.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:35 am

I took care of the stereo issue. I didn't have to bend the pins, I just sprayed all the contacts with contact cleaner and it's been working perfectly since. The CB is still stuck on channel 9, I've been too busy riding to work on it but it's still on my list. Going to look for a used working CB perhaps rather than fussing with it.

I went ahead and replaced my rear shocks with a set of the 412 progressives in the 14.25" size per their catalog. They work very well and I haven't bottomed out since but they were very difficult to install due to being a half inch longer than the stock shocks. With the swing arm all the way down hitting the exhaust they would not swing in. I had to use a pry bar to get them in. If I ever have to replace them again, I'm going to order a shorter set because they make rear tire replacement very difficult.

I wore out the Bridgestone's that the bike came with. Got a little over 10,000 miles out of them. Replaced them with a set of Shinko 230's which seem to ride very well. Very quiet ride.

Now my right fork is starting to leak so I just ordered a set of fork and dust seals. Thinking about ordering the progressive fork springs to match the rear shocks. It looks like the fairing has to come off to get the forks out. I guess I'll figure it out this weekend.

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby alanc1100 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:13 am

Hi all, this radio information was not written by me. Quinn4761 did the writeup. Check it out.......

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/128654-quinn4761.html

Hey all. I have a background in 12v electronics, so naturally I am constantly finding ways to integrate aftermarket electronic devices to my goldwing.

I have found a way to rather easily connect an aftermarket radio to the goldwings using the factory amp and auto volume controls. At some point, I will try and figure out a way to tie into the cb system to allow that to continue to work without the factory radio, and also try and find a way to get factory wired remote to work also.

Until then, here is how you get sound from an aftermarket radio on a goldwing.

All the plugs for the factory radio setups from 84-87 seem to be the same from what I have researched. I have an 86 aspy with the rm-1300a radio and I believe the connector I obtained from Sierra-mc(fantastic people there by the way), did not come from this radio, but it works.

What you will need is the factory radio connector that is attached to the radio itself, as I was looking for a plug and play type setup that you find in a car. There is no need to cut wires if you don't want, so you could simply remove the connector and harness from the factory radio if you want.

Ok, if you have ever hooked up a radio in a car, this will be simple.

Aftermarket radio narness:
Yellow - constant battery
Red- accessory
Black - ground
Whites - left channel
Greys - right channel
Blue/stripe - remote turn on(optional, creates turn on pop)

Wires to use off of Factory Connector:
Pin 6 - Accessory power
Pin 8 - ground
Pin 13 - Right Channel
Pin 14 - Left Channel
Pin 15 - Speaker ground
Pin 16 - Power output for Auto Volume Control

Red -> Pin 6, can also tie in Pin 16 for AVC power
Blue/Stripped -> if you did not tie Pin 16 to Pin 6, you can connect it here, though there will be a small turn on pop sound as the remote turn on is a delayed output
Black -> Pin 8, also tie in Pin 15 to ground as well, (will discuss later)
Yellow -> run to battery, can also tie into clock power as it is contant. I hooked it up to Pin 6 for the purposes of testing. This will work, but you will not maintain any radio stations settings, etc.
White -> solid color to Pin 14
Grey -> solid color to Pin 13

The 2 other front channel wires, white/black and grey/black, do not get used. The goldwings have a common ground speaker system in them. All this means is that the negative channel wires to the speakers pull there signal from the bike ground. Tieing Pin 15 to Pin 8, produces the ground signal needed for the speakers.

In order to get radio stations, you will need to purchase an antenna extension cable and run it from under the tool box in false tank up to the aftermarket radio. I just got the radio harness and everything figured out, so I have not come up with a dash mounting system yet, but rest assured, I will.

I am a pioneer fan, unfortunately pioneer does not make the radio that I would like to use. So if anyone is interested, I will be using a Dual XR4115, that you can actually purchase on walmarts website. It is a CD-less radio. AM,FM,USB, SD, and auxillary only. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Namsung-XR...eiver/16606799

Any questions let me know. I will update this will more pictures of the mounts and everything when I make them.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Your aftermarket stereo idea is pretty creative. However, it looks like you loose the intercom and CB radio functions by going that route. My original Panasonic is still working fine and I still have a lot of good cassette tapes I enjoy listening to when I ride so I won't be swapping out my radio anytime soon. I do still need to fix my CB. I'm going to pull it and take it into an electronics repair place and hopefully get it working again.

I just replaced my fork seals yesterday. Job went pretty smoothly. Decided to leave the stock springs in and just replace the seals. I used a set of the aftermarket All Balls seals which I ordered from Amazon for less than $20 and they fit fine. To drive them in, I used a piece of 1 1/2" ABS pipe sawed in half and about 4" long. I zip tied it together and it worked perfectly. The only part I had trouble with was removing the cir clips. I broke all the tips on my Crafsman snap ring pliers. If you're going to change your own fork seals make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers. The ones they sell at the auto parts stores, Sears, and Harbor Freight are garbage. They're imported and the tips are made of a very soft metal and will break instantly on the first use. Try to find an American made set with hardened tips if possible.

My old fork oil was completely black and very dirty. I'm guessing it was never changed. And I was also very low on both sides. Only got about 8 oz. total out of both sides. Should have been around 23 oz. I filled them up with dexron III ATF and they work perfectly now. I set the air pressure at 6 psi which gives me a nice level ride. My manual said to remove the top box which wasn't necessary. I just used a regular 6mm allen wrench to loosen up the pinch bolts and they slide right out. Very easy job.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”