PVC Springs in Fork inner tube

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
seanfrazier
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

PVC Springs in Fork inner tube

Postby seanfrazier » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Hello All,

So, I picked up this sweet Aspy a few years back at a no name moto shop, in a City and State in the US that I will not disclose at this time. I've owned Liberty for about 4 years. I've only put about 1400 miles on her. I'm in the military and for some reason, Wars and deployments to other countries kept getting in the way of road time. So, I noticed a wet seal on the right fork. Being the attentive person that I am, I decided it was time to replace seals and such. I even considered progressive springs but decided stock springs have gotten me this far so why add the extra expense if I don't need to. Any whoo, I remove them from the bike and seeing as how I don't have the special tools needed, I took them down to the local fix it moto shop. I get a phone call from the mechanic and he asked me if I wanted him to keep the PVC pipes in the forks or did I want to order new springs. Of course I told him to hold what he's got and I would be down to see what the heck he was talking about. I have attached two photos to show what he discovered when he took the forks apart. Have any of you ever seen such ridiculousness? It caused me concern to know that my wife and I have been riding around on such foolishness. I do not wish insult any shade tree mechanics out there. I'm one myself, but some body throw me a bone. That just don't look right. Has any body ever seen anything like this? Needless to say, I went ahead and bought the Progressive springs. I should be getting them back in about one week. Please respond and tell me if this is some thing you've seen before.

-Sean
Attachments

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: PVC Springs in Fork inner tube

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 pm

They're called spacers and you'll not like what happens if you leave them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:17 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:They're called spacers and you'll not like what happens if you leave them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, some bikes came with a smaller set of springs on top of the longer bottom ones and others had those spacers you show in place of them from the factory. Very common.

Dusty

seanfrazier
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby seanfrazier » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks tfdputydawg and Dusty Boots,

Okay, I take the ridiculousness and foolishness comments back. :oops: I guess I can put that info in my tool box. Once again, thanks for setting me straight.

- Sean

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”