Coolant leak?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
icebox
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Coolant leak?

Postby icebox » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 pm

I am changing my 86 Interstate 1200 water pump, (leaked out the weep hole), still have front off and ready to start putting all back together, but I noticed that sweet smell when starting bike BEFORE I started this project. My question is, could this have possibly been caused by the bad water pump in any way, or am I looking at head gaskets as the cause. Oil did not seem to have coolant in it ( although it was 1/2 qt too much oil from previous owner). It never overheated the few 50 mile rides I took after purchase, but resevoir went down after I had filled it, filled again, rode 15 miles, and it seemed to stay full. Also, If I am looking at head gaskets, should I wait to put water pump housing back on to make it easier to do this? AND,,,is there a DIY for head gasket replace for 1200 engine ? I see the one for 1100, and he is good, but I can't quite grasp the lingo ( he's way over my head)

icebox
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Coolant leak?

Postby icebox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:47 pm

icebox wrote:I am changing my 86 Interstate 1200 water pump, (leaked out the weep hole), still have front off and ready to start putting all back together, but I noticed that sweet smell when starting bike BEFORE I started this project. My question is, could this have possibly been caused by the bad water pump in any way, or am I looking at head gaskets as the cause. Oil did not seem to have coolant in it ( although it was 1/2 qt too much oil from previous owner). It never overheated the few 50 mile rides I took after purchase, but resevoir went down after I had filled it, filled again, rode 15 miles, and it seemed to stay full. Also, If I am looking at head gaskets, should I wait to put water pump housing back on to make it easier to do this? AND,,,is there a DIY for head gasket replace for 1200 engine ? I see the one for 1100, and he is good, but I can't quite grasp the lingo ( he's way over my head)

It ended up being both head gaskets blown, one sucking it in on one side and out the exhaust, and one blowing out. Previous devious owner neglected to say he rode it till it got hot enough to peel engine paint! Had heads shaved 5 thousandths and new gaskets, valve seals, etc. Ended up with tons of vacuum and have been riding ever since smoothly. Will rebuild clutch slave this fall hopefully. Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit? Thanks!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”